Business and Management
About this course
- Entry year:
- Course code:
- Tariff points:
- Bristol Business School
- Three years full-time, four years sandwich
- Full-time, starts September at all levels. Level 3 final year top up only offers a January start
- Study abroad:
- Programme leader:
- Clayton Davies and Azley Abdrazak
- Key fact:
- Students are able to switch to other degrees with specialisms once they have completed a common first year: Business Management with Marketing, Business with Economics, Business with Accounting and Finance, Business and HRM, Business and Event Management and Business Management and Leadership.
Why BA(Hons) Business and Management?
How do we create sustainable businesses? How will businesses compete in a highly competitive, globalised market?
Businesses are constantly having to challenge their position, re-invent themselves and face the threats of competitors in a rapidly changing globalised industry.
Students no longer need just business theory but vital skills, experience and cutting-edge knowledge of how real businesses work.
Why study our course?
At UWE we do just that, we equip you with the real-world skills, knowledge and experience to hit the ground running and stand out from the crowd.
This practical and flexible course, recognised and valued by employers, offers a broad and comprehensive business degree. It is driven by the needs of organisations with an emphasis on practice-led teaching and skills development. Aimed at those who want a business career but not yet ready to specialise, the flexible nature of the course gives you lots of choice and opportunities to hone interests and skills through numerous specialised modules.
Taught by enthusiastic research-active experts with valuable industry knowledge, you will learn about the main organisational functions marketing, finance and human resource management through relevant modules such as Meeting the Management Challenge, Global Marketing Management, Digital Marketing and International HRM.
Real-world skills and experience
In addition to being academically rigorous with a strong focus on group collaborative work and academic writing, we ensure you graduate 'work ready' with the skills to succeed.
Opportunities to gain paid work experience through placements and internships, along with guest speakers, real case studies, competitions and online simulations, ensure you have regular access to the real world from day one. You will apply what you learn to real business situations giving you a career head start and a brighter future.
Where it can take you
Anywhere! Your career options are truly limitless and depending on specialisms you could enter successful and rewarding careers in management, marketing, finance and HR with large blue chip companies and small to medium enterprises both nationally and internationally.
Discover more about the course through this inspiring short video featuring current UWE students talking about their own experiences and highlights of the course.
Watch: The learning and teaching experience
In your first year, you will study modules which are common across a number of Business and Management courses. This offers you the flexibility to switch between courses at the end of the first year as your interests develop and change.
The first year provides a foundation for the development of the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary for future success.
- Meeting the Management Challenge (Business, International and Management)
- Understanding Business and Financial Information (Business, International and Management)
- Understanding the Business and Economic Environment
- Understanding Organisations and People (Business, International and Management)
- Understanding the Principles of Marketing (Business, International and Management)
- Engaging in Critical Business Enquiry (Business, International and Management)
In the second year, you will study modules relating to the main functional areas of business, including a range of specialist module options, and you will develop your research and enquiry skills.
- Managing People (Business, International and Management)
- Accounting Information for Business (Business, International and Management)
- International Business
- Methods of Enquiry
- Managing Business Processes (Business, International and Management)
- One optional module from the list below:
- Market Analysis for Private Investors
- International Trade and Multinational Business
- Good Business, Bad Business and Sustainability
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Management Communication and Decision-Making
- Employment Relations OR Law and Equality at Work
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business
- Digital Business Management
- Credit Management: Theory and Practice
All students are encouraged to spend their third year on placement and the curriculum in the second year provides support in securing this placement.
The final year will include a major project, modules which require the integration of the knowledge gained in the earlier years of study and a number of advanced business module options which allow you to further develop your specific interests. The final year curriculum also includes a focus on managing change, both in organisational terms and in terms of your own career.
You will study one of the following major projects:
- Work-based Enquiry Project
- Critical Business Enquiry Project
- Enterprise Project
- Applied Business Project
- Business Project
Plus the following compulsory modules:
- Strategic Management (Business, International and Management)
- Managing Organisational and Individual Change (Business, International and Management)
- Three optional modules: (if you have completed Study Year Abroad (SYA) or Placement Year, select one less optional module)
- International Financial Management
- Investment Management
- Personal Financial Planning
- The Economics of Developing Countries
- Sustainable Business
- Events and Festivals Management
- Global Marketing Management
- Public Relations
- Interactive and Digital Marketing
- Competing Through Quality
- Project Management
- Coaching in Organisations
- Organisational Leadership
- HR Development and Knowledge Management
- International HRM
- International Business in the Emerging Markets
- Business Innovation and Growth
- Entrepreneurship: Ideas and Practice
- Virtual Business
- Accounting for Managers
- Brand Management
The University continually enhances our offer by responding to feedback from our students and other stakeholders, ensuring the curriculum is kept up to date and our graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need for the real world. This may result in changes to the course. If changes to your course are approved we will inform you.
For the International variations of this course, modules may change.
Learning and Teaching
The course is taught through lectures, seminars, workshops, group work, case studies, exercises online and simulation activities. Throughout, the learner is encouraged to undertake independent reading both to supplement and consolidate what is being taught/learnt and to broaden their individual knowledge and understanding of the subject.
For more details see our full glossary of learning and teaching terms.
You will be assessed through a mix of coursework and examinations, all of which aim to assess not only what you know and can do, but also to develop the graduate attributes that are valued by employers. These attributes include communication and presentation skills, IT and numeracy skills, team work, project and time management skills as well as the intellectual skills of problem solving, critical thinking, analysis and evaluation, creativity and innovation.
Coursework comes in many different forms: essays and reports; business plans and applied research projects; portfolios and weekly notes; assessed group and individual presentations and posters. You will also be required to reflect and comment on your own learning and personal development.
For more details see our full glossary of assessment terms.
This course has been accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). The University will pay your CMI membership giving you access to member benefits from the CMI:
- Knowledge Resource portal - ManagementDirect
- Mentoring scheme - CMI Achieve
- CMI library services
- CMI organised networking events
On the completion of your degree, you'll gain a CMI qualification.
You are encouraged to undertake a 40-week paid placement relevant to this degree supported by an award-winning placement team. The Faculty has a strong and growing network of placement organisations and past students have secured roles at Rolls Royce, HP, IBM, NHS, Hayes, Microsoft, Maclaren F1 and Lidl in marketing, recruitment and other business areas.
This is a valuable and rewarding aspect of the course, enhancing employability and gaining vital real-world experience by putting learned theory into practice in a real organisation. You will gain a better understanding of the demands of a career and develop your own work ethic.
Placements have also been related to higher attainment and levels of employment with one third of students on placement re-employed by placement employers on graduation.
Study year abroad
As an alternative to a placement year, there may be opportunities to undertake a study year abroad where courses are taught in English. Students are selected for this through a competitive process. Employers look favourably upon graduates who have studied overseas on account of them having acquired a global perspective (which is becoming even more valuable with increasingly globalised markets).
Your learning is supported through the provision of high quality study facilities; an excellent library, with a dedicated Business Librarian, and study skills to help you develop the information literacy skills essential in identifying and evaluating resources. We also have flexible learning spaces in the Business School with wireless internet access and study areas, complete with sofas and areas for group working.
Find out more about the facilities and resources UWE Bristol has to offer.
Developing crucial skills
This course places a strong emphasis on developing crucial skills to not only help get you through your degree but also to give you a competitive edge in the graduate market. From day one you will take part in skills workshops and employability sessions where you will learn how to present, write reports, critically analyse, evaluate and self-reflect, interpret data, communicate in a range of ways, work in teams, work independently, deal with conflict, manage time and learn how to be flexible, resilient and self-motivating.
These crucial skills, valued by employers, set you up for your career and allow you to adapt and respond to a number of work tasks and situations in diverse settings.
Careers / Further study
Due to the broad degree and many specialisms you will benefit from diverse career pathways in a range of sectors including management roles in retail, marketing, HR and recruitment. Bristol has a strong local labour market and employers highly value and recognise our course and students. UWE has established good links with organisations and past graduates have secured roles with multinationals, small to medium enterprises and in the public sector.
Many students also take up graduate management schemes, go onto further study or progress to teaching or research careers.
Your career options are truly limitless - one of the benefits of such a broad and practical degree with a strong focus on employability.
Award-winning Careers Service
Our award-winning careers service helps you develop your employment potential through career coaching, a vacancy service for internships, placements, jobs, global opportunities, volunteering and community activity plus support for entrepreneurial activity, and access to employer events.
Creating employable students
UWE Bristol places strong emphasis on employability and skills development at every level. Through work placements, volunteering, study abroad and initiatives nurturing talent and innovation, you will have opportunities to gain valuable real world experience, allowing you to graduate with diverse career opportunities and a competitive place in the job market.
Visit our Employability pages to find out about careers, employers, real world experience and what our students are doing six months after graduating.
Full time course
|Home/EU-Full Time-Annual (Per Year) Fee||9000|
|Home/EU-Full Time-Module Fee (15 Credit)||1125|
|International - Full Time - Annual (Per Year) Fee||11750|
|International - Full Time - Module Fee (15 Credit)||1469|
|Offshore-Full Time-Annual (Per Year) Fee||9000|
|Offshore-Full Time-Module Fee (15 Credit)||1125|
Full time course with placement year
|Home/EU-Sandwich-Annual (Per Year) Fee||9000|
|Home/EU-Sandwich-Annual Full Final Year Fee||9000|
|Home/EU-Sandwich-Annual Reduced Final Year Fee||7875|
|Home/EU-Sandwich-Placement Year Fee||1125|
|Offshore-Sandwich-Annual (Per Year) Fee||9000|
|Offshore-Sandwich-Annual Full Final Year Fee||9000|
|Offshore-Sandwich-Annual Reduced Final Year Fee||7875|
|Offshore-Sandwich-Placement Year Fee||1125|
Indicative Additional Costs
|Additional Course Costs - Full Time - Home/EU - Indicative Maximum Cost Over 3 years||900|
|Additional Course Costs - Full Time - Home/EU - Indicative Maximum Cost Over 3 Years with Placement||1200|
|Additional Course Costs - Full Time - Home/EU - Indicative Maximum Cost Per year||300|
Supplementary fee information
The additional costs listed are those that students could reasonably expect to incur during their studies and are for items not covered by the standard tuition fee. These could be materials, text books, travel, clothing, software or printing.
For information about funding for undergraduate courses see our funding pages.
- Tariff points: 300
- GCSE: Grade C or above in English Language and Mathematics, or equivalent. Please note the University does not accept Level 2 Key Skills, Functional Skills or Certificates in Adult Numeracy and Literacy as suitable alternatives to GCSEs.
- English Language Requirement:
If English is not your first language, you will be required to meet the UK Border Agency and Universities minimum English Language requirements such as the International English Language Test (IELTS) overall score of 6.0 with 5.5 in each component.
Students not meeting this requirement may be allowed to join the course having studied a pre-sessional English course from September through to December.
- A-level subjects: No specific subjects required. Points from A-Level General Studies and AS-Level subjects (not taken onto full A-Level) can be included towards overall tariff. You must have a minimum of two A-Levels.
- Relevant subjects: Business, Management
- EDEXCEL (BTEC) Diploma: A minimum of DDM from the BTEC Diploma
- Access: Achievement of the HE Diploma; achievement of 30 L3 credits at merit; achievement of Level 2 credits giving GCSE equivalency (where appropriate) in English Language and Mathematics
- Baccalaureate IB: 26 points
We welcome applications from students who do not have the entry requirements outlined. The university will consider applications on the basis of evidence of personal, professional and educational experience which indicates an applicant's ability to meet the demands of the degree.
Level 3 January start final year top up
We welcome enquiries from international applicants. For advice about entry requirements visit our country-specific information pages or contact your local British Council Office, visit or e-mail your CV to Admissions office giving us details of all the qualifications you hold, examining boards and grades or scores obtained.
UWE Bristol's International College
International students who do not meet the academic or English language requirements to study this course can qualify by completing preparatory study at our International College.
How to apply
Please see the general information about applications.
UCAS Extra: We welcome applications through UCAS Extra for this programme from 25 February until 4 July 2016. Responses to UCAS Extra applications will be given within 14 working days.
For further information
- E-mail: Admissions@uwe.ac.uk
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 83333