Physical Assessment and Clinical Reasoning (AHP)
About this course
Page last updated 1 September 2016
The 20 credit, level 3 Physical Assessment and Clinical Reasoning (AHP) module will use a variety of approaches, which may include E-learning, Lectures, Practical sessions, Seminars, Experts from practice, Analysis of Case Studies and self directed study. Formative OSCEs undertaken throughout the module will contribute to the final summative assessment.
The 'Prices and Dates' tab will give you all the information you need on how to apply for this course.
Please use the 'Content' tab for full information.
Registered practitioner currently working in an area to achieve the learning outcomes 60 credits at level 2.
- Systematic history taking
- Use of assessment tools for recognising normal and abnormal findings
- Introduction to use of frameworks for clinical reasoning
- Risk Assessment
- Foundations of relevant anatomy and pathophysiology
- Introduction to clinical findings related to head to toe physical assessment with application to related disease processes
- Rationale for diagnostic investigations and relevance to practice
Health and Safety
- Local policy frameworks/regulations
- Introduction to national policy frameworks/regulations (e.g. IRMER, COSHH)
Context of physical assessment and clinical reasoning
- Legal/ethical principles
- Clinical governance
- Evidence based practice
- National and local initiatives for changing roles in practice
Learning and Teaching
On completion of this module you will be able to demonstrate the following:
Knowledge and Understanding
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of concepts related to anatomy, physiology and the clinical reasoning that supports recognition of common illnesses.
- Differentiate between normal and abnormal variants of the physical assessment and their clinical significance.
- Use clinical reasoning to enhance critical analysis of diagnostic findings.
- Systematically identify and evaluate findings from physical assessment.
- Evaluate the context in which clinical reasoning occurs.
- Critically appraise ethical and legal issues that impact on clinical reasoning
Subject/Professional and Practical Skills
- Apply the process of physical assessment and clinical reasoning.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the skills and reasoning underpinning physical assessment and clinical reasoning.
- Exercise clinical judgement by formulating an action plan based on the findings of the clinical examination.
Supplementary fee information
Please visit full fee information to see the price brackets for our modules.
Funding may be available to support your learning. Please contact your Trust Education Lead. If you work in the Private, Independent and Voluntary Sector, please contact your employer who will advise you.
Please see our timetable for full date information.
How to apply
You will apply online for your CPD modules, which you can take as stand-alone courses or as part of an undergraduate (level 3) or postgraduate (Masters level) programme.
Our how to apply page can assist you with further information prior to submitting your online application.
For further information
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81158