The Manager as Coach and Mentor
About this course
Page last updated 25 January 2017
Bristol Business School's portfolio of professional short courses offers you and your business flexible learning solutions. We have a range of courses in: Finance and Strategic Planning; Coaching and Mentoring; Human Resource Management and Personal Development; Project Management, and Marketing.
Our courses are delivered by experienced academics and consultants, who apply their expertise and cutting-edge thinking with a practical focus.
Coaching and mentoring employees rather than using more traditional management techniques helps empower and enable individuals or teams to take the action they need to complete tasks to the best of their ability.
Coaching and mentoring, is increasingly recognised as a flexible and effective way of supporting staff. This 2 day course is designed to help managers understand what coaching and mentoring is, how these skills fit with effective management and to acquire practical techniques to use in their everyday life.
Who is it for?
This course is designed for managers or supervisors who are required to using coaching or mentoring techniques as part of their management role.
There are no formal entry requirements for this open course, however participants will be expected to be prepared to learn through working on real organisational and management issues.
Careers / Further study
This open course (with assessment) contributes towards our ILM Level 5 Award and Certificate in Leadership and Management.
By the end of the programme participants will be able to:
- List the similarities and differences between coaching and mentoring
- Describe how they could use coaching and mentoring approaches within their roles as managers and leaders
- Analyse the critical skills, knowledge, behaviours and attitudes required for effective, ethical coaching and mentoring
- Undertake at least one coaching or mentoring session using a given model and reflect on outcomes and own behaviour
- Discuss how to monitor and evaluate the impact of coaching and mentoring in the workplace
The course will take you through the following learning:
- 9.30: Welcome, course introductions, domestics, aims and objectives
- 9.40: Expectations and ways of learning
- 9.50: Coaching and mentoring - what are they?
- 10.10: Why bother?
- 10.30: Knowledge, skills and attitudes?
- 11.00: Break
- 11.20: Skills 1 - Active Listening
- 11.50: Skills 2 - Questioning
- 12.10: Skills 3 - Contracting
- 12.30: Lunch
- 13.30: Review of learning
- 13.40: When are coaching and mentoring appropriate?
- 14.00: Structuring coaching and mentoring conversations- requirements at each stage?
- 14.30: Skills 4 - Building rapport and trust building
- 15.00: Break
- 15.20: Skills 5 - Goal setting
- 16.00: You and coaching and mentoring?
- 16.20: Summary and evaluation
- 16.30: Close
- 09.30: Review of Day 1 - what remembered?
- 09.50: Coaching and mentoring model
- 10.20: Undertaking either a coaching or mentoring session
- 12.20: Reflections and insights
- 12.30: Lunch
- 13.30: Sustainability - feedback and monitoring
- 14.30: Effective, ethical practice - what required?
- 15.00: Break
- 15.30: Your organisation? What required?
- 16.00: Summary, review, next steps
- 16.20: Evaluation
- 16.30: Close
Learning and Teaching
Our open courses are practical training days designed to give you an opportunity to look, analyse and discuss with our tutors and your peers the subject area and explore possible approaches and tools available to you in your workplace. Alongside each face-to-face training day you will have will have access to online tools and materials, designed to support you further through your learning.
This two day course carries ILM assessment linked to the Level 5 qualifications in Leadership and Management. If you have registered onto this course as part of the Level 5 Award or Certificate, you will be required to complete your ILM assessment after the training days to cover the topic area.
You will be given a set hand-in date to submit your ILM assignment (3 weeks after the training session).
If you are unsuccessful in passing your assessment on your first submission, you will have the opportunity to resubmit your assessment, however resubmission fees will apply.
This course is recognised by the ILM as a development award. After full attendance of the course, participants will receive an ILM certificate confirming their learning.
This course also carries ILM unit credit towards our ILM Level 5 Award and Certificate in Leadership and Management through the course assessment for those registered onto the qualification.
Our short courses are run at our dedicated Executive Development Centre, providing a professional environment for your training needs. Located at Frenchay Campus, with easy access to the M4 and M5 motorways and Bristol Parkway rail station, it has four fully equipped training rooms, a communications and reception area.
To be able to fully participate in our course, you will need to be comfortable with using the Internet and searching for information online. Session materials are presented through a number of sources including Microsoft Word, Power Point, pdf and online workbooks and discussions.
As a leaner at the University of the West of England, you will also have full access to our library on campus and all online materials and resources. Alongside this once registered onto the ILM qualification you will be able to register for your ILM study membership and its range of benefits.
Supplementary fee information
Full fee: £450
20% early bird discount fee: £360 (for bookings paid in full 8 weeks or more in advance)
10% UWE Alumni Discount fee: £405 (available until the course start date)
Please note that discounts can not be used in conjunction with each other. The greatest discount available will be applied at your booking confirmation.
(Fees include car parking, lunch and refreshments)
For participants wishing to attend this course as part of your ILM level 5 Award or Certificate in Leadership and Management, please contact your course administrator directly.
There are currently no dates available for this course. Please contact us to register your interest and we will let you know when the course is next scheduled to run.
How to apply
For all enquiries please complete our online enquiry form or contact us on the number below
For further information
- Email: Please contact us through the online enquiry form
- Telephone: +44(0)117 32 87408