Foundations of Systems Engineering
About this course
Page last updated 1 September 2016
The aim of this course is to develop a critical systems approach to engineering processes and practices within the wider organisational context. It is aimed at you if you are an engineer or manager working in an increasingly complex environment who need to broaden your knowledge of systems engineering processes and applications.
By completing the optional course assessment, this course can contribute towards one or more of the Awards within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. This framework of engineering modules gives participants the opportunity to take a flexible route towards a named Postgraduate Award, such as MSc Aerospace, MSc Professional Engineering, MSc Engineering Management or MSc Engineering Operations and Improvement.
Careers / Further study
Foundations of Systems Engineering can be taken as a stand-alone short course, or used to build up to a named postgraduate qualification (PG Certificate, PG Diploma or Masters) within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. For a full list of short courses please see our Engineering and Aerospace course list.
This course contributes towards the MSc Aerospace Programme, which is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS) and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). Both professional bodies also endorse the other professional engineering courses that we offer.
Our Engineering courses can also contribute to your portfolio of evidence for Chartered Engineering registration. Please refer to the Benefits of Professional Study for more information.
There are no formal entry requirements to undertake this course as a standalone short course without the optional module assessment.
If you wish to complete the module assessment are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) or alternatively have industrial experience. We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
The course covers the following:
- Issues and problems in current engineering practice: successes and failures in large engineering projects, scope and use of development and management methodologies
- Organisation context: engineering socio-technical systems, strategies for process improvement, the role of standard process models, human factors in the adoption of new techniques, organisational models and architectures, managing change
- Holistic systems engineering: scope of systems from engineering artefacts to human activity systems, systems thinking principles, lifecycle from problem formulation through design and manufacturing to maintenance and disposal, problem domain analysis, soft systems methods, systems dynamics
- Systematic systems engineering: user requirements elicitation, validation and verification, derived and system requirements, model-driven development, risk analysis, configuration management, system integration
Learning and Teaching
The course is delivered as a three-day block and a two-day block, with a two week break in between. The first element of assessment is carried out in the two-week break, the second follows the end of the teaching. Teaching will use a mixture of lectures, invited industrial speakers, workshops, discussions and attendee presentations.
You will be set a project involving a specific and agreed application within their workplace or such other project as may be appropriate.
Supplementary fee information
£1530 (includes optional UWE module accreditation)
All course prices include course materials, car parking, lunch and refreshments.
Please complete an on-line enquiry form to receive information once the next run of this module becomes available.
UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
How to apply
For all enquiries, please complete our online enquiry form or contact us on the number below.
If you wish to gain university credits by completing the assignment, please register for our Engineering Capabilty Development Framework (If you have already registered, please contact your course administrator directly to make a booking.)
For further information
- Email: For all course queries, please complete the on-line enquiry form above.
+44 (0)117 32 87265