Technical Business Operations
About this course
- Course code:
- Professional/Short Course
- Engineering Design and Mathematics
- Five days
- Course director:
- Dr Hadi Abulrub
- Key fact:
- This five day course can count towards the MSc Engineering Management and the MSc Engineering Operations and Improvement
Page last updated 25 October 2016
This course is intended for science and engineering graduates engaged in professions which require a comprehensive understanding of business operations, in technical sectors including Aerospace and Advanced Engineering. It has been designed to provide you with the skills, knowledge and ability to better examine processes and procedures in organisations to effect strategic improvements and change, resulting in organisations which are more efficient and effective.
By completing the optional course assessment, this course can contribute towards one or more of the Awards within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. This framework of engineering modules gives participants the opportunity to take a flexible route towards a named Postgraduate Award, such as MSc Aerospace, MSc Professional Engineering, MSc Engineering Management or MSc Engineering Operations and Improvement.
Careers / Further study
Advanced Manufacturing can be taken as a stand-alone professional short course, or used to build up to a named postgraduate qualification (PG Certificate, PG Diploma or Masters) within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. For a full list of professional courses please see our Engineering and Aerospace course list.
This course contributes towards the MSc Aerospace Programme, which is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS) and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). Both professional bodies also endorse the other professional engineering courses that we offer.
Our Engineering courses can also contribute to your portfolio of evidence for Chartered Engineering registration. Please refer to the Benefits of Professional Study for more information.
There are no formal entry requirements to undertake this course as a standalone short professional course without the optional module assessment.
If you wish to complete the module assessment are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) or alternatively have industrial experience. We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
This course is designed to provide you with the skills, knowledge and ability to examine processes and procedures in order to effect strategic improvements and change.
- Models of business organisation and structure
- The scope and importance of operations in business management
- Strategy-driven operations to meet stakeholder needs within a changing environment
- Tools and techniques of operations and project management
- Supply chain integration and management
- Approaches to business improvement
- Information and communication systems for business operations and improvement
- Management of resources and operations
- Apply systems methods for the design and management of business and technical operations
- Evaluate complex business and technical organisation systems, identify and apply appropriate modern operations management theory
- Explain the rationale for and techniques of multiple criteria decision making and risk analysis methodologies
- Possess a holistic organisational view of business operations management and improvement
- Understand multi-disciplinary teams and associated techniques to achieve integration
An optional post course assignment will be provided during the module week.
Supplementary fee information
£1530 (includes optional UWE module accreditation)
All course prices include course materials, car parking, lunch and refreshments.
Monday 10 October - Friday 14 October 2016
UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
How to apply
For all enquiries, please complete our online enquiry form or contact us on the number below.
If you wish to attend the October 2016 run of our course without completing the UWE accreditation to gain postgraduate level credits, please complete our online booking form. All participants will receive a certificate of attendance.
If you wish to gain university credits by completing the assignment, please register for our Engineering Capability Development Framework (If you have already registered, please contact your course administrator directly to make a booking).
For further information
- Email: For all course queries, please complete the on-line enquiry form above.
+44 (0) 117 32 81196