About this course
Page last updated 13 January 2017
The bridge inspection process is a fundamental part of the effective management of bridges as set out in the Code of Practice for the Management of Highway Structures. Bridge inspections can have a significant impact on maintenance regimes, financial planning and, ultimately, the safety of the public. Therefore, the importance of the bridge inspector cannot be understated.
The UK Bridges Board, supported by the Bridge Owners Forum, recognised this problem and commissioned the development of a 'Bridge Inspection Competence and Training Manual".
The purpose of this new suite of courses offered by the University of the West of England is to help delegates to understand the wide ranging processes associated with the inspection of bridges within the overall asset management framework for highway structures.
Attendance on these courses will help delegates to achieve the level of competence required to be assessed as a bridge inspector or senior bridge inspector.
The suite of courses will also be of interest and value to bridge managers and other technical staff who have the responsibility for managing highway structures.
Speakers: Graham Cole, Liz Kirkham, Adrienn Tomor and further specialists in various fields to be confirmed later.
The suite of courses is structured to cover the seven Core Competences of the DfT Bridge Inspection Certification Scheme as follows:
- Unit C1 Introduction to Inspections
- Unit C2 Structures Types and Elements / Behaviour of Structures
- Unit C3 Inspection Process
- Unit C4 Defects, Descriptions and Causes
- Unit C5 Investigation and Testing
- Unit C6 Repair Techniques
- Unit C7 General Aptitude
The presented material will refer to the Highways Agency Inspection Manual for Highway Structures and will draw on extensive practical examples provided by the course tutors. The course titles and dates are as follows:
- Bridge Inspection Day 1 - The Bridge Inspection Process
- Bridge Inspection Day 2 - Structural Form, Materials and Behaviour
- Bridge Inspection Day 3 - Bridge Defects: Descriptions and Causes
- Bridge Inspection Day 4 - Field Trip
- Bridge Inspection Day 5 - Bridge Investigation and Testing
- Bridge Inspection Day 6 - Assessment, Repair and Strengthening of Bridges
Each course is designed to be a stand-alone activity. Thus delegates who are only interested in a single topic will not need to attend the whole suite of courses. However, delegates may need to attend more than one course in order to achieve the level of knowledge required by the scheme. Discounts will be available for delegates who wish to attend more than one course in a single academic year.
Day 1: The Bridge Inspection Process
- Purpose of Bridge Inspections
- Code of Practice for the Management of Highway Structures
- Inspectors Roles, Responsibilities and Competence
- The Accreditation Process
- Inspection Types
- Scheduling Inspections
- Risk Based Inspection Intervals
- Planning and Preparing for Inspections
- Health and Safety
- Performing Inspections
- Recording Inspections
Day 2: Structural Form, Materials and Behaviour
- Structures Types and Elements
- Structural Mechanics and Behaviour
- Properties of Construction Materials Concrete
- Properties of Construction Materials Steel and Metals
- Properties of Construction Materials Masonry
- Properties of Construction Materials - Timber
Day 3: Bridge Defects: Descriptions and Causes
- Principal Causes of Defects
- Concrete Defects
- BCI and Concrete Defects
- Steel Defects
- BCI and Steel Defects
- Masonry Defects
- BCI and Masonry Defects
- Other Defects
Day 4: Field Trip
- Inspection of Bridges
Day 5: Bridge Investigation and Testing
- The Purpose of Testing
- Common Testing Techniques
- An Effective Testing Programme
- Concrete Testing
- Testing of Metals
- Masonry Testing
- Investigation Processes
- Procurement Processes
Day 6: Assessment, Repair and Strengthening of Bridges
- Evaluation of Inspection and Testing Techniques
- Maintenance Techniques
- Bridge Assessment
- Repair Techniques for Concrete Structures
- Repair Techniques for Metal Structures
- Repair Techniques for Masonry Structures
Learning and Teaching
The suite of courses will be led by highly experienced practitioners and academics.
Wherever possible the courses will be run in a workshop format that emphasises the practical nature of the topic whilst ensuring that delegates have sufficient understanding of the theoretical background required of a bridge inspector.
The inspection module will include a day of fieldwork where the practical aspects of bridge inspection can be experienced at first hand.
Supplementary fee information
£220 per day
£1,200 for all six days
All course prices include course materials, car parking, lunch and refreshments.
Bridge Inspection Day 1 - 26 April 2017
Bridge Inspection Day 2 - 27 April 2017
Bridge Inspection Day 3 - 17 May 2017
Bridge Inspection Day 4 - 18 May 2017
Bridge Inspection Day 5 - 21 June 2017
Bridge Inspection Day 6 - 22 June 2017
UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
How to apply
For all enquiries, please complete one of our online enquiry forms or contact us on the number below.
- Bridge Inspection 1: The Bridge Inspection Process
- Bridge Inspection 2: Structural Form, Materials and Behaviour
- Bridge Inspection 3: Bridge Defects: Descriptions and Causes
- Bridge Inspection 4: Field Trip
- Bridge Inspection 5: Bridge Investigation and Testing
- Bridge Inspection 6: Assessment, Repair and Strengthening of Bridges
For all full or provisional bookings, please complete the relevant online booking form. If you wish to book onto more than one course, you will need to complete the booking for each appropriate course. After submitting your initial booking form, you will be given the option to book onto other related courses which will allow you to reuse your original booking form data.
- Bridge Inspection Day 1: The Bridge Inspection Process
- Bridge Inspection Day 2: Structural Form, Materials and Behaviour
- Bridge Inspection Day 3: Bridge Defects: Descriptions and Causes
- Bridge Inspection Day 4: Field Trip
- Bridge Inspection Day 5: Bridge Investigation and Testing
- Bridge Inspection Day 6: Assessment, Repair and Strengthening of Bridges
For further information
- Email: For all course queries, please complete one of the online enquiry forms above.
+44 (0)117 32 87166 - For booking queries +44 (0)117 32 83516 - Dr Adrienn Tomor