MSc/Postgraduate Diploma Biomedical Science
Specialist Routes in Medical Microbiology, Immunology, Cellular Pathology, Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology and Medical Genetics.
This course is open for applications.
Page last updated 16 June 2020
An intensive modular programme offering specialist routes in Medical Microbiology, Immunology, Cellular Pathology, Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology, and Medical Genetics.
The MSc Biomedical Science course is aimed at students who want to take their biomedical science skills and knowledge to a higher level. It's ideally suited to those with an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Science or other degrees that have a significant amount of human biology or biomedical content, as well as medical, dental or veterinary degrees and some biotechnology degrees depending on what modules you studied at undergraduate level.
Watch: The learning and teaching experience
- Current Issues in Biomedical Sciences - a multi-disciplinary module looking at topical issues in biomedical science.
- Practical Skills for Biomedical Science - an opportunity to refresh and develop your practical skill set and prepare for your project.
- Research and Diagnostic Methodologies - looking at core scientific methods, for example PCR, and how they are used both in research and diagnostic laboratories.
- Advanced Topics in Biomedical Science - an opportunity to study areas you are interested in from your specialist discipline in an independent manner under academic guidance.
- Research Project - an opportunity to undertake an extended laboratory project in your specialist discipline.
Choose from one of the specialist modules:
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Medical Microbiology
- Applied Immunology
- Medical Genetics
- Cellular Pathology and Oncology
The University continually enhances our offer by responding to feedback from our students and other stakeholders, ensuring the curriculum is kept up to date and our graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need for the real world. This may result in changes to the course. If changes to your course are approved we will inform you.
Learning and Teaching
You learn and develop experience through a mixture of lectures, tutorials, workshops, laboratory practicals, computer-based activities and a conference week.
For more details see our glossary of teaching and learning terms.
One year, full time
Part-time study options are available on a credit-accumulation basis.
Full-time students should allow 40 hours per week study time throughout the course.
We assess modules using a range of methods, including practical report writing, statistical analysis, oral presentations, poster presentations, researched essays and exams.
For more details see our full glossary of assessment terms.
Careers / Further study
Graduates from this course have gone on to employment in the healthcare sector, teaching and academia, with many going on to take PhDs in the biomedical sciences.
Our award-winning careers service helps you develop your employment potential through career coaching, a vacancy service for internships, placements, jobs, global opportunities, volunteering and community activity plus support for entrepreneurial activity, and access to employer events.
Applicants normally have one of the following:
- An honours degree awarded by a UK institute of higher education (at least 2:2), in a relevant subject, with significant biological, biochemical or biomedical content related to the vocational specialist subject to be studied;
- Qualifications deemed equivalent by the course leader.
UWE Bristol's International College
International students who do not meet the academic or English language requirements to study this course can qualify by completing preparatory study at our International College.
English language support
If you meet the academic requirements but require additional support to take your language skills to the required level, you may be able to attend one of our pre-sessional English courses. Students who successfully complete the pre-sessional course can progress onto their chosen degree course without retaking an IELTS or equivalent.
Read more about our Pre-Sessional English Programme.
For further information
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 83333