BA(Hons) Business (Team Entrepreneurship) (with Foundation Year)
Clearing applicants who do not meet the standard requirements as specified on the Entry tab may be considered.
Please call our Clearing helpline on 0117 32 83333 for further advice.
Page last updated 4 July 2022
This is a groundbreaking course that shows you how to set up and run a business alongside your studies, giving you valuable entrepreneurial experience.
On our ground-breaking BA(Hons) Business (Team Entrepreneurship) degree, you'll collaborate to identify opportunities, generate value and therefore become effective problems solvers in real-world situations within a team. You'll graduate with rich business experience gained from the many opportunities provided by the course such as responding to challenges and working with business mentors.
Why study BA(Hon) Business (Team Entrepreneurship)?
Team entrepreneurship is an innovative degree course that allows you to develop practical skills by working in teams, creating value for organisations, forming ventures and ultimately learning how to manage yourselves to become effective problem-solvers.
Why study at UWE Bristol?
Inspired by the pioneering Finnish 'Team Academy' approach, UWE Bristol was among the first to introduce this course to the UK. By joining UWE Team Academy, you're also joining a university renowned for supporting student entrepreneurship. The University provides many opportunities to start and develop ideas for your own venture, including funding and access to space on campus to test out your ideas.
You'll also be studying in a city with a vibrant start-up scene, with organisations such as Engine Shed,Business West,NatWest Entrepreneur Accelerator, Launch Space and Future Space, which support businesses to start and grow.
As a student (known as a 'Team Entrepreneur'), you'll work in a dedicated open plan space within the Bristol Business School building. You'll deliver and manage projects, build valuable contacts and networks, and set learning goals by working effectively as part of your team.
Here are some examples of the projects and ventures that our Team Entrepreneurs have developed.
Where can it take me?
In the most recent available data from 2017/18, 89.5% of our graduates were in professional level employment, self-employment or further study, compared to a market average of 79.5% for other universities.
Team Entrepreneurship equips you with the skills, knowledge and mindset that can be applied in a wide range of roles, industries and career pathways.
You'll know your strengths, interests and aspirations. You'll have key skills and valuable contacts to hit the ground running in your career.
You'll graduate with diverse and exciting career options, including forming start-ups, working within small to medium sized enterprises or working with large organisations. Management, consultancy, education, finance, marketing, technology and design are just some of the sectors that our graduates have progressed into.
Year zero (foundation year)
Development of your academic skills and your understanding of law, economics, accounting, business and management.
You will study:
- Becoming a Professional
- Introduction to Organisations, Enterprise and Management
- Economics and Accounting for the Real World
- Introduction to Law in a Social, Business and Global Context.
You normally need to pass all modules in your foundation year before going into Year one.
You will study:
- Running a Learning Organisation 1 (focuses on how to form your team)
- Managing My Learning and Development 1 (focuses on self-directed learning)
- Enterprising and Entrepreneurial Practice 1 (focuses on exploring venture creation)
- Enquiry into Enterprise and Entrepreneurship 1 (focuses on how to access expert knowledge).
You will study:
- Running a Learning Organisation 2 (focuses on how to test team capabilities)
- Managing My Learning and Development 2 (teaches you more about self-leadership)
- Enterprising and Entrepreneurial Practice 2 (focuses on evaluating entrepreneurial opportunities)
- Enquiry into Enterprise and Entrepreneurship 2 (focuses on how to select your specialism).
You will study:
- Running a Learning Organisation 3 (focuses on leveraging your team's performance)
- Managing My Learning and Development 3 (teaches you more about self-mastery)
- Enterprising and Entrepreneurial Practice 3 (focuses on refining entrepreneurial competencies)
- Enquiry into Enterprise and Entrepreneurship 3 (focuses on how to deliver thought leadership).
The University continually enhances our offer by responding to feedback from our students and other stakeholders, ensuring the curriculum is kept up to date and our graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need for the real world. This may result in changes to the course. If changes to your course are approved, we will inform you.
Learning and Teaching
In the first few weeks you'll form a team of up to 20 students, and work on real projects with the potential to earn your own income while gaining entrepreneurial experience.
Your Team Company will run its own training sessions with the support of an experienced team coach. You'll also join professional workshops and personal development sessions to ensure you develop your entrepreneurial potential.
On this course you'll train on the job, writing reports, delivering presentations, filling forms and managing cash flow. By combining this with academic work, you'll develop the habits of lifelong learners.
Throughout the course, you'll provide evidence of how you have learned from your projects and your study. You'll work within your Team Company, and be supported by your team coach, to share and develop your learning.
You'll get used to keeping business hours, managing day-to-day challenges, dealing with customers and clients and learn how a real business works. Learn by doing real work on real projects, alongside other members of your Team Company.
You'll be provided with an extensive list of relevant books, journals, videos and other learning materials from a diverse range of authors. Read up on topics such as sales and marketing, and leadership and entrepreneurship, so you can apply these skills to your own projects. Develop insight into how these ideas work in practice.
You'll join professional workshops and mentoring sessions as you explore the issues involved when setting up and running your own ventures. There are no lectures on this course, though you can attend selected lectures offered on other courses.
Your team coaches will support and guide your Team Company through the duration of the course. Whenever you need more specialist guidance, your coach will help you find a suitable source.
You'll demonstrate your learning by completing projects and project reports, making presentations and by undertaking research and writing reflective essays.
Your learning will be enhanced by giving and receiving feedback with fellow team entrepreneurs and your Team Coach.
See our full glossary of learning and teaching terms.
Approximate percentage of time you'll spend in different learning activities*:
|Year||Scheduled learning and teaching study||Independent study||Placement study|
*Calculated from compulsory and optional modules (where applicable) each year
You'll be expected to attend eight hours of team coaching each week for 36 weeks of the year.
As well as these sessions, there will be a range of workshops, tutorials and collaborative sessions that you need to attend so you fully benefit from the course.
You and your team mates will be running your own company and you should expect this course to be a full-time commitment.
You'll be assessed through your learning portfolio and written coursework assignments. There are no exams on this course.
You'll demonstrate the knowledge you've gained and the application of that knowledge through your learning portfolios, which typically include:
- Pre- and post-project reports
- Activity logs
- Reflections on your learning
- Reflections on feedback from team coaches and peers.
See our full glossary of assessment terms.
Approximate percentage of marks awarded by each assessment method*:
|Year||Written exam assessment||Coursework assessment||Practical exam assessment|
*Calculated from compulsory and optional modules (where applicable) each year
We are part of the Team Academy Learning Network, a group of universities offering similar courses in Europe, China and South America. With this comes the opportunity to attend network meetings, or arrange a short exchange.
In our new £55m Bristol Business School, you'll have access to cutting-edge learning spaces.
Designed with student input, it offers learning spaces for individual and group study plus conference rooms you can book. It's a space where students and business come together to collaborate and form new partnerships.
Your Team Company will have its own open plan office space in the Team Entrepreneurship Hub, giving you experience of running an office while you study. It's well-equipped with networked PCs, phones and presentation facilities.
You'll have access to recommended books, trade press, academic journals, and industry databases on and off campus.
Learn more about UWE Bristol's facilities and resources.
This course offers inspiring sessions with industry experts, business and social entrepreneurs who share their experience and answer questions.
- Entrepreneurs and founders of successful start-ups
- Recruitment consultants
- Professional business coaches, educators and mentors
- Specialists in the fields of marketing, finance, operations and technology
- Venture capitalists and angel investors.
With guests from such diverse backgrounds, you'll be able to speed up your own development through the real-life experiences of others.
Careers / Further study
This applied course prepares you for work, whether your own venture or within an existing startup or established business. Whatever path you choose, you'll graduate with excellent and diverse career prospects.
All our graduates have said the course prepared them well for starting their own ventures. About one third of our graduates have already gone on to run successful businesses.
You could also go into mainstream employment with careers in marketing, HR, coaching, education and development.
Our award-winning careers service will develop your employment potential through career coaching and find you graduate jobs, placements and global opportunities.
We can also help find local volunteering and community opportunities, provide support for entrepreneurial activity and get you access to employer events.
Visit our employability pages to learn more about careers, employers and what our students are doing six months after graduating.
Indicative additional costs
Full time course
Supplementary fee information
Additional costs are for items you could need during your studies that aren't covered by the standard tuition fee. These could be materials, textbooks, travel, clothing, software or printing.
- Tariff points: 48
- GCSE: Grade C/4 in English Literature or Language and Mathematics, or equivalent. We do not accept Level 2 Key Skills, Functional Skills or Certificates in Adult Numeracy and Literacy as alternatives to GCSEs.
- English Language Requirement: International and EU applicants are required to have a minimum overall IELTS (Academic) score of 6.0 with 5.5 in each component (or approved equivalent*). *The university accepts a large number of UK and International Qualifications in place of IELTS. You can find details of acceptable tests and the required grades you will need in our English Language section. Visit http://uwe.ac.uk/englishlanguagerequirements
- A-level subjects: No specific subjects required.
- EDEXCEL (BTEC) Diploma: No specific subjects required.
For information on required Guided Learning Hours please see our minimum entry requirements page.
- Access: No specific subjects required.
- Baccalaureate IB: No specific subjects required.
- Irish Highers: No specific subjects required.
- T Levels: No specific subjects required.
If you exceed the entry requirements you may be eligible for BA(Hons) Business (Team Entrepreneurship).
We won't be able to accept your application for this course if you require the Student Route visa.