Principles of Lean Engineering
About this course
- Course code:
- Professional/Short Course
- Engineering Design and Mathematics
- Frenchay Campus
- Five days
- Programme leader:
- Wendy Fowles-Sweet
- Key fact:
- This five day course can count towards the MSc Engineering Operations and Improvement
Page last updated 14 December 2018
Engineering Industry continues to strive to improve its competitiveness; the elimination of waste throughout the supply chain has become paramount.
This course aims to enhance the traditional engineering skills with the lean methodology and analysis techniques. It will also provide you with management skills to complement your technical ability, enabling you to take a broader perspective on the manufacturing industry as a whole.
By completing the optional course assessment, this course can contribute towards one or more of the Awards within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. This framework of engineering modules gives you the opportunity to take a flexible route towards a named Postgraduate Award, such as MSc Aerospace, MSc Professional Engineering or MSc Engineering Management.
Careers / Further study
Lean Engineering can be taken as a stand-alone short course, or used to build up to a named postgraduate qualification (PG Certificate, PG Diploma or Masters) within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. For a full list of short courses please see our Engineering and Aerospace course list.
This course contributes towards the MSc Aerospace Programme, which is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS) and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). Both professional bodies also endorse the other professional engineering courses that we offer.
Our Engineering courses can also contribute to your portfolio of evidence for Chartered Engineering registration. Please refer to the Benefits of Professional Study for more information.
There are no formal entry requirements to undertake this course as a standalone short course without the optional module assessment.
If you wish to complete the module assessment you are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) or alternatively have industrial experience. We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
The course will provide you with the management skills to complement your technical ability, enabling you to take a broader perspective on the manufacturing industry as a whole. The Lean Manufacturing and Engineering course has had many successful graduates.
- Focuses on both the holistic view of the industry and at the detailed level of the manufacturing operations.
- Enables you to develop a skill set that will allow you to identify and manage 'change' effectively.
The course aims to develop engineers who will be able to:
- Design and develop lean and competitive manufacturing facilities
- Apply appropriate quality systems and tools
- Evaluate and design suitable production control system
- Identify and implement the requirements of a successful supply chain
- Develop a skill set to identify and manage 'change' effectively
- Assess manufacturing issues with respect to strategic and financial implications
Supplementary fee information
|Mon 4 to Fri 8 March 2019||£1,530 (includes UWE module accreditation)|
All course prices include course materials, car parking, lunch and refreshments.
UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
How to apply
|If you wish to gain university credits by completing the assignment, please register for our Engineering Capability Development Framework (If you have already registered, please contact your course administrator directly to make a booking.)||Enquire Now|
|If you wish to attend the course without completing the UWE accreditation, please complete our online booking form. All participants will receive a certificate of attendance.||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: For all course queries, please complete the on-line enquiry form above.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 86304