Professional Development Appraisal and Review
About this course
- Course code:
- Professional/Short Course
- Engineering Design and Mathematics
- Frenchay Campus
- Course director:
- Wendy Fowles-Sweet
- Key fact:
- This course counts towards the MSc Aerospace, MSc Engineering Management and the MSc Professional Engineering
Page last updated 9 October 2018
"If you fail to plan you plan to fail."
If you follow the Engineering Management route or any of the 'flexible routes programmes' within the Engineering Capability Development Framework you will complete a professional development appraisal (PDA) as part of the professional development appraisal module.
This PDA is a reflective examination and assessment of your education, qualifications, experience and competences upon enrolment. This is then used to:
- Determine the difference between current competences and the competences needed to progress your career. A useful definition of competences for engineers are defined in the UK-SPEC for engineers or you may want to use other defined list of learning outcomes or devise one of your own.
- Define the scope of your learning and key outcomes which need to be achieved in selected modules.
- Determine how you intend to meet and demonstrate the required competences within the modules and final project.
The on-going development of competences should be carefully recorded by you in a Personal Development Portfolio. Some Professional Engineering Institutes (PEIs) have published frameworks for this, and if you are seeking registration with one of those PEIs can complete this alongside the record of learning.
It is important that you should select modules and a project that provide's you with the opportunities to develop the necessary competences for the grade of registration you are seeking. The course finishes with an overall evaluation of your achievement and of your learning and professional development goals.
By completing the optional course assessment, this course can contribute towards one or more of the Awards within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. This framework of engineering modules gives you the opportunity to take a flexible route towards a named Postgraduate Award, such as MSc Aerospace, MSc Professional Engineering or MSc Engineering Management.
Careers / Further study
Professional Development Appraisal and Review can be taken as a stand-alone short course, or used to build up to a named postgraduate qualification (PG Certificate, PG Diploma or Masters) within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. For a full list of professional short courses please see our Engineering and Aerospace course list.
This course contributes towards the MSc Aerospace Programme, which is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS) and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). Both professional bodies also endorse the other professional engineering courses that we offer.
Our Engineering courses can also contribute to your portfolio of evidence for Chartered Engineering registration. Please refer to the Benefits of Professional Study for more information.
There are no formal entry requirements to undertake this course as a standalone short course without the optional module assessment.
If you wish to complete the module assessment you are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) or alternatively have industrial experience. We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
This first stage of Continuing Professional Development is planning. By developing an action plan you ensure that you take a structured approach to achieving your goals and you can also monitor you progress. This stage also helps you take a positive and constructive approach to realising your full potential
Step 1: How do I know what I need to learn?
- Chartered Status
- Organisational or Company Objectives
- Personal Objectives
Step 2: Write yourself a Personal Development Plan (PDP)
Step 3: Reviewing and updating your plan.
The course will allow participants to:
- Gather feedback about themselves
- Examine ways to map skill development with career development
- Discuss ways to gain support and funding for personal development
- Explore ways to record their PDP using a variety of methods
Supplementary fee information
|The next course run will be confirmed in 2019||TBC|
Students complete all 3 parts. Course fee includes course materials, car parking, lunch and refreshments.
UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
How to apply
|If you wish to gain university credits by completing the assignment, please register for our Engineering Capability Development Framework (If you have already registered, please contact your course administrator directly to make a booking.)||Enquire Now|
|If you wish to attend the course without completing the UWE accreditation, please complete our Enquiry form All participants will receive a certificate of attendance.||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: For all course queries, please complete the on-line enquiry form above.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 83649