Professional course Academic and Professional Journeys
15 credit Masters level module
Page last updated 4 October 2021
This 15 credit Masters level Academic and Professional Journeys module is an initial module focusing on academic literacy and reflective skills.
The module aims to:
- develop your reflective skills within an educational context
- develop your level 7 academic literacy skills appropriate to the field of Education
- establish a community of practice within the cohort.
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- reflect on and critically analyse their learning and/or practitioner experiences within the context of the wider Education field
- appraise and critically apply a relevant experiential and theoretical evidence base.
Careers / Further study
This 15 credit module can contribute towards the MA Education (three to five year version and two year version).
The module syllabus covers:
- examination of teaching and learning experiences in light of key
- concepts and theoretical models in education
- the relationship between theory, research, and practical application
- reflective practice theory and skills in education
- Masters level academic literacy skills within the field of education
- critical reflection on theory, practice and values towards the development of a personal rationale.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods will include a mix of synchronous and asynchronous activities including webinars, meetings, lectures, readings, tasks and activities alongside independent study and tutor support.
A written assignment of 2,500 words focusing on your chosen area of interest, critically reflecting on your learner or practitioner experiences and exploring relevant theoretical evidence bases for purpose, theoretical framework,new or opposing ideas in order to develop and assess existing knowledge and experiences.
The Department of Education and Childhood at UWE Bristol runs a variety of courses in early childhood and education studies, and is one of the largest providers of initial teacher training and continuing professional development in the region. Experienced tutors and leading researchers and practitioners in their fields teach in the department. We have excellent facilities and a range of flexible study areas and online learning tools for our students.