Professional/Short course Beginning A Career
15 credit Masters level module
Page last updated 2 February 2023
This 15 credit Beginning a Career module is ideal for those following the route for Early Career Teachers (ECTs) exploring areas for professional development.
The aims of this module are:
- develop your professional reflective skills within an educational context
- establish your analytical reflective habit of mind to inform professional progress
- develop your Level 7 academic literacy skills appropriate to the field of Education.
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- explore critically how reflection on practice in an educational setting influences professional understanding and learner success
- reflect critically on a range of evidence in either the initial induction period or early teaching experience with reference to the relationship of theory and practice
- analyse and evaluate critically personal progress at selected review points to inform professional development.
Careers / Further study
This module can contribute to the MA Education (three to five year version and two year version).
A broad outline of the syllabus includes the relationship between theory, research, and practical application:
- Reflective practice theory
- Critical incident methodology
- Subject/phase pedagogy
- Teacher as researcher.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods will include a mix of synchronous and asynchronous activities including webinars, meetings, lectures, readings, tasks and activities alongside independent study and tutor support.
A written assignment of 2,500 words articulating an evidence-informed evaluation, with reference to early career statutory requirements.
The Department of Education and Childhood at UWE Bristol runs a variety of courses in early childhood and education studies, and is one of the largest providers of initial teacher training and continuing professional development in the region. Experienced tutors and leading researchers and practitioners in their fields teach in the department. We have excellent facilities and a range of flexible study areas and online learning tools for our students.
Get a feel for the Education and Teaching facilities we have on offer here from wherever you are.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
Please visit our full fee information to see the price brackets for our modules.
Please click on the Apply Now button to view dates.
How to apply
How to apply
Please apply online using the Apply Now button located at the top of the page.
Please read our Terms and Conditions.
For further information
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81158
You can also follow us on Instagram @UWEeducation.