Professional/Short course Teaching For Learning
30 credit Masters level module
Page last updated 7 February 2022
This 30 credit Masters level module introduces you to educational theory and philosophy, developing a critical awareness and personal perspective on related ethos and rationales for practice.
The module aims to:
- develop an understanding of seminal and emerging educational theory and philosophy
- develop critical awareness of the connections and interplay between theory, practice, learners and context
- begin to develop a personal ethos and rationale for practice, whilst continuing to reflect on alternative approaches.
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- engage with educational theories and philosophies to develop a critical understanding of the key principles of teaching and learning
- explore critically how theories intersect and influence practice and learner success
- critically evaluate the challenges of applying theory to practice for diverse learners and in various contexts
- articulate a personal rationale for practice with reference to the relationship between theory and practice.
Careers / Further study
This 15 credit module can contribute towards the MA Education (three to five year version and two year version).
The syllabus covers:
- educational theory and philosophy
- the key components of educational practice
- the relationship between theory, research, and practical application
- benefits, limitations and barriers of theory in practice
- bridging the theory practice gap
- articulating an evidence-informed personal perspective.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods will include a mix of synchronous and asynchronous activities including webinars, meetings, lectures, readings, tasks and activities alongside independent study and tutor support.
- A presentation focusing on your chosen area of interest, critically reflecting on the interplay between theory and practice
- A written submission deepening the focus of the presentation, extended with articulation of an evidence-informed personal perspective.
The Department of Education and Childhood at UWE Bristol runs a variety of courses in early childhood and education studies, and is one of the largest providers of initial teacher training and continuing professional development in the region. Experienced tutors and leading researchers and practitioners in their fields teach in the department. We have excellent facilities and a range of flexible study areas and online learning tools for our students.