Professional course Exploring Professional Practice
30 credit Masters level module
Page last updated 4 October 2021
This 30 credit Masters level module will develop your critical awareness of the connections between theory, practice, and learner success in your personal educational context.
This module is intended for students who are recently qualified teachers.
The educational aims of this module are to:
- develop critical awareness of the connections and interplay
- between theory and practice, in the context(s) of you and your learners
- continue to develop a personal ethos and rationale for their practice, whilst reflecting on alternative approaches
- analyse the implications of exercising informed agency in practice.
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- explore critically how theories intersect and influence practice and learner success
- critically evaluate the challenges of applying theory to practice for diverse learners and in various contexts
- articulate a personal rationale for practice with reference to the relationship between theory and practice
- critically reflect on the implications of exercising informed agency in practice.
Careers / Further study
This 15 credit module can contribute towards the MA Education (three to five year version and two year version).
The module syllabus covers:
- Educational theory and philosophy: your choice
- The relationship between theory, research, and practical application
- Benefits, limitations and barriers of theory in practice
- Bridging the theory practice gap
- Critical reflection on theory and practice towards the development of a personal rationale.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods will include a mix of synchronous and asynchronous activities including webinars, meetings, lectures, readings, tasks and activities alongside independent study and tutor support.
- A presentation focusing on a chosen area of interest to the student, critically reflecting on the interplay between theory and practice.
- A written submission deepening the focus of the presentation, extended with articulation of an evidence-informed personal perspective.
The Department of Education and Childhood at UWE Bristol runs a variety of courses in early childhood and education studies, and is one of the largest providers of initial teacher training and continuing professional development in the region. Experienced tutors and leading researchers and practitioners in their fields teach in the department. We have excellent facilities and a range of flexible study areas and online learning tools for our students.