Professional/Short course Education Leadership, Management and Change
30 credit Masters level module
Page last updated 28 September 2023
With this 30 credit Masters level module, you will reflect on relevant conceptual leadership and management frameworks to inform future practice. This will deepen your understanding of the relevant theories of self-leadership, leading teams and leading change. The module is intended for current and aspiring leaders in education.
The module aims to:
- explore leadership and management theories and concepts
- develop an understanding of identity in the workplace, values and self-leadership, and how these behaviours impact on organisational life
- explore and evaluate strategies for managing teams
- develop an understanding of the interconnectedness between self, organisation and systems, and the implications for leadership and management practice
- recognise opportunities and strategies to engage proactively with change and adopt an enterprising attitude
- raise critical self-awareness and sensitivity to diversity within and across educational contexts.
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- critically apply relevant leadership and management theories and concepts to educational contexts
- reflect on workplace identity as a leader, self-leadership, and values and behaviours, demonstrating a critical understanding of how they impact on others and organisational life
- demonstrate a critical understanding of strategies for managing teams
- demonstrate a critical awareness of the interconnectedness between self, organisation and systems, and the implications for leadership and management practice
- critically evaluate the role of leadership and management in change articulate a critical understanding of the value of diversity across educational contexts.
Careers / Further study
This module can contribute towards the MA Education (two year and three to five year version).
The syllabus includes:
- Leadership of self, organisation and systems
- Theory of Education leadership, management and change
- Reflective enquiry into developing yourself as a leader or manager in an education setting
- Leading change in teams: individual contributions and group dynamics
- Measuring quality and quality enhancement Considerations for leading and managing ethically.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods will include a mix of synchronous and asynchronous activities including webinars, meetings, lectures, readings, tasks and activities alongside independent study and tutor support.
A portfolio of work negotiated with the module tutor critically reflecting on your own practice, experience and/or self-development.
The Department of Education and Childhood at UWE Bristol runs a variety of courses in early childhood and education studies, and is one of the largest providers of initial teacher training and continuing professional development in the region. Experienced tutors and leading researchers and practitioners in their fields teach in the department. We have excellent facilities and a range of flexible study areas and online learning tools for our students.
Get a feel for the Education and Teaching facilities we have on offer here from wherever you are.