Professional course Policy and Practice
30 credit Masters level module
Page last updated 4 October 2021
This 30 credit Masters level Policy and Practice module develops a critical awareness of education policy development and its translation into practice
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- critically analyse how ideology and context impact policy
- critically reflect on how a policy agenda in education is translated into practice
- critique the intention of a policy agenda in education against the outcomes and impacts
- identify a policy agenda and critically review various policy response.
Careers / Further study
This module can contribute towards the MA Education (two year and three to five year version).
The module syllabus includes the following topics:
- Identify the diverse ways that policy is developed
- How to search relevant policy literature
- Reflective enquiry into policy-making process
- Consider the way that policy is framed and contextualised
- Identify means by policy impact on practice can be appraised
- Critically appraise a selected policy.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods will include a mix of synchronous and asynchronous activities including webinars, meetings, lectures, readings, tasks and activities alongside independent study and tutor support.
The assessment involves an analysis/es of education policy of interest to you that has been negotiated with the supporting tutor.
The Department of Education and Childhood at UWE Bristol runs a variety of courses in early childhood and education studies, and is one of the largest providers of initial teacher training and continuing professional development in the region. Experienced tutors and leading researchers and practitioners in their fields teach in the department. We have excellent facilities and a range of flexible study areas and online learning tools for our students.