Professional/Short course Practice and Research in Higher Education
30 credit level 7 module
Page last updated 23 January 2024
This 30 credit level 7 module, Practice and Research in Higher Education, allows you to build on your development in the Theory and Practice in Higher Education (UTLGXT-30-M) module. You will consider a particular aspect of your practice that would be suitable for a potential research enquiry, paying particular attention to ethical issues that might arise.
You will further develop and embed evidence-based teaching and guidance strategies to enable individual learners to make good progress. The module will help you to set your teaching within the context of your profession, the institution and the wider context in which higher education operates.
On successful completion of this module, you will achieve the following learning outcomes and be able to:
- critically evaluate and apply a range of pedagogical research methodologies and methods to demonstrate the value of integrating ethical research within scholarship, learning and teaching
- identify the potential impact of pedagogic research on Higher Education policy, strategy and quality assurance
- critically analyse varied inclusive approaches to programme design and apply to your subject discipline and professional context
- critically analyse the ways in which learning environments and technologies can be used to support inclusive teaching, learning, assessment and communication
- critically review the use of summative assessment strategies with reference to subject and university requirements
- critically reflect on the impact of teaching on learning and progression, including use of varied forms of feedback
- plan continuing professional development to ensure currency in subject knowledge and pedagogical approaches within the context of their institution and higher education.
Applicants must be actively engaged in teaching and supporting learning in a Higher Education context during the course.
Careers / Further study
This level 7 (Masters level) module contributes towards the PGCert Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
The syllabus for this level 7 module typically covers:
- pedagogical research methodologies and methods
- the impact of pedagogic research
- programme design
- learning environments and technologies
- summative assessment
- planning for continuing professional development.
Learning and Teaching
Each of the study units/sessions will be a structured learning journey and will comprise a set of teaching materials such as lectures, workshops, seminars, videos, and articles, that allow you to understand, apply and reinforce your learning of the concepts covered.
Assessment for this module will include the following, where appropriate demonstrating critical engagement with relevant literature:
- a critical review of your teaching, including reflections on a range of feedback critical reflections on tasks carried out as part of the course
- Record of Engagement.
The School of Education and Childhood at UWE Bristol runs a variety of courses in early childhood and education studies, and is one of the largest providers of initial teacher training and continuing professional development in the region. Experienced tutors and leading researchers and practitioners in their fields teach in the department. We have excellent facilities and a range of flexible study areas and online learning tools for our students.
Get a feel for the Education and Teaching facilities we have on offer here from wherever you are.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
Please visit our full fee information to see the price brackets for our modules.
The next intakes to the module are September 2024 and January 2025. More information provided on enquiry.