Professional/Short course Principles of Evidence Based Public Health
20 credit level 6 and level 7 module
Page last updated 2 February 2023
You may be able to study these modules at Level 6 (BSc level) or Level 7 (Masters level) depending on your academic circumstances. Please contact the CPD Team or the Module Leader for advice if you are unsure which level would be best for you.
The 20 credit Principles of Evidence Based Public Health, available at level 6 (UZVRDY-20-3) or level 7 (UZVSDK-20-M) fosters an interdisciplinary approach and is delivered by a multidisciplinary teaching team from the Departments of Health and Applied Social Science and Nursing and Midwifery.
Teaching methods include; lectures, online learning, discussions, seminars, group work and self-directed study.
On succesful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Examine the use of evidence in the formation of public health policy
- Critically appraise the validity and reliability of evidence
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the process of systematic review and meta-analysis
- Critique the effectiveness of public health interventions
- Demonstrate familiarity with the types of evidence routinely used as a basis for public health policy
- Describe the constraints and barriers for the implementation of the evidence base for public health policy and practice
Careers / Further study
This is a compulsory module in the Specialist Community Public Health Nursing (SCPHN) programme. If you wish to apply for the full SCPHN programme, please contact Admissions on +44 (0)117 32 83333.
The module syllabus typically includes:
- The concept of evidence-based policy and practice
- Literature searching databases
- Hierarchies of evidence
- Approaches to systematic review of the evidence
- The assessment of scientific evidence and its contribution to public health practice and policy. This includes evaluation of effectiveness of interventions (including health impact assessment), and current public health programmes at different geographical scales.
- The dissemination and communication of evidence and the role of the media
- Ethical issues surrounding the collection, interpretation, dissemination and use of public health information
- Critical review of contemporary issues in evidence based public health
Multiple choice questions and short answer examination.
How to apply
How to apply
Please click on the Apply Now button to apply for your CPD module, which you can take as a stand-alone course or as part of an undergraduate or postgraduate (Masters level) programme.
If the course you are applying for is fully online or blended learning, please note that you are expected to provide your own headsets/microphones.
For further information
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81158