Professional/Short course Health Promotion
15 credit level 7 module
Page last updated 25 May 2023
On successful completion of this 15 credit level 7 Health Promotion module, you will be able to access, synthesise, critically analyse and apply knowledge and understanding of:
- the theoretical, philosophical and political foundations of health promotion
- health promotion approaches and practices: models and interventions
- political and ethical dimensions of health promotion
- the value of health promotion in tackling inequalities
- personal and social responsibility in relation to health behaviour
- the relationship between health promotion and public health
- he value and role of partnerships in health promotion
You will also acquire skills in using website development software to create an online health promotion resource.
Careers / Further study
This course can contribute towards:
- MSc Environmental Health Studies
- PGCert/PGDip Environmental Health
- PGCert, PGDip or MSc in Public Health.
The module syllabus typically includes the following:
- Philosophical, theoretical and political perspectives on health promotion; emphasis upon the socio-ecological model of health promotion and the WHO healthy settings approach..
- Theoretical and practical perspectives on community organisation, empowerment, participation, collective action and community development.
- Values, attitudes and beliefs; the cultural context of health behaviour and risk; personal and social responsibility; choice; empowerment and participation.
- Behaviour change theories, models and approaches.
- The WHO healthy settings approach.
- Health promotion planning and evaluation.
- Communication theories and practices; social marketing and media advocacy.
Learning and Teaching
Classroom based teaching comprises a mix of lectures, workshops and seminars, which include student-centred active learning techniques.
Technology Enhanced Learning supplements taught sessions in the form of essential and supplementary online learning materials (via Blackboard). TEL workshops are programmed to prepare students for a web-based assessment. Module support is provided via Blackboard and via a programme Blog site.. Podcasts and videos are uploaded to Blackboard to support taught input.
There are 30 hours of contact time delivered through lectures, seminars and on-line activities. These comprise 8 taught 3.5 hour sessions (half days) scheduled in semester 1 and supplemented with additional online support. Up to one hour is available for one-to-one tutorial support.
The College of Health, Science and Society has an excellent reputation for the quality of its teaching and the facilities it provides.
Get a feel for the Health Professions facilities we have on offer here from wherever you are.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
Please visit full fee information to see the price brackets for our modules.
Please click on the Apply Now button to view dates.
How to apply
How to apply
Please click on the Apply Now button to apply for your CPD module, which you can take as a stand-alone course or as part of an undergraduate or postgraduate (Masters level) programme.
If the course you are applying for is fully online or blended learning, please note that you are expected to provide your own headsets/microphones.
For further information
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81158