Professional/Short course Health and Safety Management
Page last updated 24 May 2022
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- evaluate the impact that work activities can have on global human health, safety and welfare and how harmful effects can be minimised through targeted risk based interventions.
- critically appraise strategy, policy and management systems and examine how these contribute towards developing and maintaining a positive health and safety culture.
- effectively apply the underpinning principles of the legislative system to drive health and safety interventions.
- identify a variety of key stakeholders and examine their role in delivering effective health and safety.
Careers / Further study
This module can contribute towards the MSc Environmental Health.
The syllabus for this module will typically include:
Health and safety at work management
- The planning, monitoring and reviewing of management systems and policies that underpin a positive workplace health and safety culture.
- The key aspects of the occurrence of workplace injuries, including triggers, investigation and prevention.
Fundamental legislative arrangements
- The key principles and components of legislation and other information resources that aim to reduce health and safety workplace risk, inform decision-making and maintain a safe working environment.
- The role of regulators and regulatory practice including approaches to enforcement, the impact this may have on business and the protection it affords vulnerable employees.
- Recognition of the business viewpoint and the systems in place to maintain a proportionate, targeted and consistent approach.
Hazard and risk
- Identification, assessment and control of physical workplace hazards and associated risks including quantitative/qualitative aspects and impact on both employee and public safety.
- Identification, assessment and control of workplace hazards that pose a risk to and lead to conditions that impact on human health.
- The range of stakeholders that have a role in collaborating to reduce workplace risk and promote health and wellbeing.
- An appreciation of workplace consultation to inform decision-making and development/maintain a health and safety culture.
Learning and Teaching
The module is delivered through a combination of both synchronous and asynchronous learning; some elements are taught face-to-face on campus and others online.
The assessment for this module will comprise an online examination. The written assignment for this module is in the form of an open book examination.