Professional/Short course Public Health (Improvement and Protection)
20 credit level 7 module
Page last updated 11 October 2022
This 20 credit Public Health (Improvement and Protection) will be delivered in a variety of ways, requiring the student to utilise the skills of independent learning.
After competing this level 7 (Masters level) module, you will be able to:
- Understand how the determinants of health and well-being impact on a population
- Demonstrate an awareness of how policy is made in the context of environmental and public health
- Critically understand the importance of different levels of evidence and how it is used in evaluation and assessment
- Consult relevant legislation, guidance, procedures and other secondary sources and use them to assess risk and inform relevant interventions to secure compliance and/or protect health and well-being
- Identify the range of solutions that might be available to deal with environmental and public health problems and be able to justify the most appropriate course of action to secure compliance and/or protect health and well-being
- Investigate environmental health problems which affect a community of people and require the application of surveillance and assessment in which data is collected, collated, analysed, interpreted and communicated
- Contribute to the development of policy in a field of environmental health and identify the potential or actual impact of the policy on those targeted
- Demonstrate an understanding of partnership working and the role of the Environmental Health Practitioner in Public Health.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the Environmental Health Practitioner in the management of a communicable disease outbreak
- Reflect upon the experience of undertaking the intervention in terms of the uncertainties involved in judging risk, the effectiveness of the course of action and any incidental problems encountered.
CIEH Accredited and BSc(Hons) or MSc/PGDip Environmental Health
Careers / Further study
This module can contribute towards:
The CIEH Portfolio in Professional Practice.
- Surveillance and assessment of a population's health and well-being
- Assessing evidence of the effectiveness of interventions, programmes and services to improve population health and well-being
- Policy and strategy development and implementation to improve population health and well-being
- Leadership and collaborative working to improve population health and well-being
- Health protection
Learning and Teaching
A holistic approach to in-depth studies is developed, setting health risks and interventions in a wider context and in consideration of partnership, multi-agency roles and working practices in achieving objectives in public and environmental health.
Workshops, field activities and e-learning will provide the framework for this primarily student centred module. Reflective practice is integral to the approach taken in this module and assessment.
How to apply
How to apply
Please click on the Apply Now button to apply for your CPD module, which you can take as a stand-alone course or as part of an undergraduate or postgraduate (Masters level) programme.
If the course you are applying for is fully online or blended learning, please note that you are expected to provide your own headsets/microphones.