Qualitative Health Research
15 credit Masters level module
About this course
Page last updated 2 April 2020
Qualitative Health Research will be delivered using a mixture of scheduled and independent learning techniques. These may include; lectures, workshops, assignments and hours engaged with essential reading.
Technology Enhanced Learning will supplement taught sessions to enable all students to access learning materials via Blackboard.
- Definition, nomenclature, epistemology: what is qualitative research; traditions of qualitative research; diverse methodological approaches (grounded theory; ethnography; phenomenology; narrative inquiry); the place of qualitative research in health research and evidence-based healthcare.
- Current methodological debates: the value of qualitative research; ethics; sampling; reflexivity; quality criteria: validity, reliability and rigour; critical appraisal.
- Methods for qualitative data collection (QDC): interviewing; observation and field notes; focus groups and group facilitation; online qualitative approaches.
- Methods for qualitative data analysis (QDA): basic principles; transcribing; field notes; data management; coding; inductive and deductive analysis; approaches to data analysis (thematic content analysis; framework approach; narrative analysis; discourse); qualitative approaches to evidence synthesis.
Learning and Teaching
You will be able to:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of qualitative research traditions and methodologies, and understand how and when to use them
- Critically evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of qualitative methods for health research
- Demonstrate critical understanding of the main methods used in qualitative research for generating data, and carrying out qualitative data analysis (QDA) in primary research and in qualitative synthesis
- Show critical awareness of key issues around credibility and quality in qualitative research
- Show critical awareness of ethical issues and reflexivity as applied to qualitative research
- Understand and assess how qualitative research is presented in the form of research papers and other publications
Supplementary fee information
Please visit full fee information to see the price brackets for our modules.
Funding may be available to support your learning. Please contact your Trust Education Lead. If you work in the Private, Independent and Voluntary Sector, please contact your employer who will advise you.
Please click on the Apply Now button to view dates.