Professional/Short course Health Protection
15 credit Masters level module
Page last updated 12 April 2022
The Health Protection Short Course is delivered in partnership with colleagues from the UK Health Security Agency who are working in the field, ensuring that you are exposed to relevant practice issues.
The course has been designed to meet the needs of those currently working in roles that require up-to-date health protection knowledge, or those who are keen to develop their knowledge in this field.
All sessions are delivered online, via Microsoft Teams. Presentations are supplemented by technology enhanced learning where appropriate, such as electronic whiteboards and interactive media, and participants will be signposted to a range of resources.
Careers / Further study
This module can contribute towards: PGCert/PGDip/MSc Public Health.
The course syllabus includes:
- The health protection system in the UK and leadership for effective health protection
- Principles of infection control, surveillance of infectious disease, outbreak management and immunisation
- Knowledge and understanding of epidemiology, risk factors and prevention and control measures for key communicable diseases and environmental hazards, such as TB or air quality
- Critical understanding of the impact of the wider determinants of health on the distribution of communicable diseases and exposure to environmental hazards, with a focus on health inequalities in health protection
- Knowledge and understanding of key environmental impacts on population health and the management of such hazards
- Awareness of current systems and structures for emergency planning, resilience and response
Learning and Teaching
You will be able to:
- Apply the principles of surveillance and epidemiology to the aetiology, monitoring and interpretation of patterns of communicable diseases
- Critically analyse the key environmental health issues impacting on health in the UK
- Consider the principles of and critique the evidence base for the actions necessary to prevent and control key communicable diseases, and the importance of the social and political environment in the detailed implementation of such actions
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
Please visit full fee information to see the price brackets for our modules.
Funding may be available to support your learning. Please contact your Trust Education Lead. If you work in the Private, Independent and Voluntary Sector, please contact your employer who will advise you.
Please click on the Apply Now button to view dates.