15 Credit, Masters level module
About this course
Page last updated 14 December 2018
Health Protection is delivered in partnership with colleagues from Public Health England who are working in the field, ensuring that you are exposed to relevant practice issues.
Taught sessions will be supplemented by technology enhanced learning, with access learning materials via Blackboard and an electronic discussion board, while podcasts and/or videos will be used to accompany your lectures.
Careers / Further study
This module can contribute towards: PGCert/PGDip/MSc Public Health.
- Principles of infection control, surveillance, outbreak control and immunisation
- Knowledge and understanding of epidemiology, risk factors and prevention and control measures for key communicable diseases hospital acquired infection, meningitis, TB, influenza, blood borne viruses (including HIV), food and water borne infections
- Current UK immunisation schedules and their limitations
- Critical understanding of the impact of the wider determinants of health on the distribution and course of communicable diseases
- Knowledge and understanding of key material environmental impacts on population health physical, radiological, chemical and biological, covering specifically air quality and pollution, water quality, asbestos and radon
- Key health issues associated with poor housing
- Knowledge of current statutory and non-statutory approaches to harm prevention and reduction, including protection from occupational hazards
- Awareness of current emergency planning structures and systems
Learning and Teaching
You will be able to:
- Apply the principles of surveillance and epidemiology to the aetiology, monitoring and interpretation of patterns of communicable diseases
- Critically analyse the key environmental health issues impacting on health in the UK
- Consider the principles of and critique the evidence base for the actions necessary to prevent and control key communicable diseases, and the importance of the social and political environment in the detailed implementation of such actions
Supplementary fee information
Please visit full fee information to see the price brackets for our modules.
Funding may be available to support your learning. Please contact your Trust Education Lead. If you work in the Private, Independent and Voluntary Sector, please contact your employer who will advise you.
Please click on the Apply Now button to view dates.