Professional course Brachytherapy Principles and Clinical Applications
15 credit Masters level module
Page last updated 4 October 2021
During the Brachytherapy Principles and Clinical Applications Masters level module, you will gain:
Knowledge and understanding
- Demonstrate critical knowledge and understanding of brachytherapy principles.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of brachytherapy applications in modern radiotherapy clinical practice.
- Critically appraise existing knowledge and available literature on brachytherapy delivery.
- Independently evaluate current working practices and areas for potential service development.
- Critically analyse complex situations and formulate ethical solutions, arguments and strategies for change in the workplace.
Subject, Professional and Practice skills
- Critically evaluate the role of brachytherapy within the therapeutic radiographers professional development.
- Discuss the potential medico-legal and ethical implications for clinical brachytherapy practice.
- Transferable skills.
- Critically evaluate the implementation and provision of a brachytherapy service within clinical practice.
- Critically evaluate the various aspects of service re-design / enhancement, whilst demonstrating an awareness of clinical legislation / governance.
You must have relevant experience within the Oncology field.
The module syllabus will cover:
- General principles of brachytherapy
- History of brachytherapy and sources and afterloaders
- Radiobiology in brachytherapy
- Radiation protections issues in brachytherapy
- Physics planning, optimisation and use of Dose Volume Histograms (DVHs)
- Clinical applications of brachytherapy, site specific, including gynae, prostate, endoluminal, miscellaneous
- Psychological issues in brachytherapy
- National guidelines and standards for brachytherapy in UK
- Service management and development in brachytherapy
Learning and Teaching
A variety of approaches will be used which may include lectures, discussions, seminars and presentations. Student centred learning is guided by work based learning and on-line discussions.
A 2,500 word reflective assignment.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
Please visit full fee information to see the price brackets for our modules.
Funding may be available to support your learning. Please contact your Trust Education Lead. If you work in the Private, Independent and Voluntary Sector, please contact your employer who will advise you.
Please click on the Apply Now button to view dates.