Professional course Contemporary Advances in Ultrasound Technology
15 credit Masters level module
Page last updated 4 October 2021
This 15 credit Masters level module will explore and address issues relating to new technology and quality assurance. You will be expected to contribute to discussions based on your own knowledge and experiences, recognise gaps in your knowledge and understanding and investigate these areas by asking questions and reading around the subject, particularly current published studies.
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate in depth and critical knowledge and understanding of contemporary advances in ultrasound technology
- Critically evaluate relevant knowledge to enable optimum use of the ultrasound equipment within the current, internationally recognised recommendations for safe practice
- Design and critically evaluate a relevant investigation.
Careers / Further study
This module can contribute towards MSc Medical Ultrasound.
The module syllabus covers:
- Contemporary advancements
- Developments in digital signal processing and imaging- spatial and frequency compound imaging
- Non-linear propagation of ultrasound principles and tissue harmonic imaging
- Developments in transducer technology and array designs 3D and 4D ultrasound
- Contrast Enhanced Ultrasound (CEUS) - principles and micro bubble contrast agents
- High intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU)
- Microbubble assisted delivery of drugs and genes
- Advances in Doppler techniques - clinical applications
- Quality control and performance checks - acceptance testing and phantoms.
The assessment will comprise a 3,000-word written assignment.
The written assignment will assess:
- the application of basic physical principles in the design of a investigation, in addition to literature searching and essay writing skills.
- your understanding of the application of technology to current and future practice, and critically reflect on the process.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
Please view our full fee information to see the price brackets for our modules.
Funding may be available to support your learning. Please contact your Trust Education Lead. If you work in the Private, Independent and Voluntary Sector, please contact your employer who will advise you
Please click on the Apply Now button to view dates.
How to apply
How to apply
You are required to apply online for your CPD modules, which you can take as stand-alone courses or as part of an undergraduate or postgraduate (Masters level) programme.