Finance for Non-Financial Managers
About this course
Page last updated 10 January 2019
At Bristol Business School, our portfolio of open programmes offers you and your business a flexible learning solution. We have a range of programmes covering a wide range of topics, including Finance, Strategy, Marketing, Leadership, Coaching and Mentoring, Innovation, and Design Thinking, among many others. Our programmes are delivered by experienced practitioners and academics, who combine cutting-edge thinking with a practical, real-world focus, ensuring our programmes meet professional and industry needs.
As a decision-maker in a small or medium sized business you can use financial information to resolve problems and improve performance. This programme will provide you with the basic skills and understanding of how to do this.
Who is it for?
This programmeis specifically designed for managers and supervisors who need a basic understanding of the principles of finance, those new to a role with responsibility for financial control, or anyone working with finance and accounting staff.
What do I get out of it?
At the end of the programme, you will have:
- Greater confidence in using and analysing the main financial statements to aid decision-making
- An appreciation of the uses of internal management accounting
There are no formal entry requirements for this open course.
What does it cover?
- Income Statement, Statement of Financial Position and Cash Flow Statement - an introduction to the main financial statements and the concepts used in producing these statements.
- Interpreting and Analysing Financial Statements - how to interpret the content of the accounting statements using ratio analysis
- The basics of cost analysis - how to classify costs that are suitable for internal decision making
- How to use cost analysis for decision-making - different techniques that can be used for both short and long term decision making.
How will I learn?
The programme is delivered in a very practical way through the use of a number of mini case studies. Please bring a calculator with you. You may also want to bring copies of any financial reports that you need to have an understanding of and these can be explained confidentially with you.
Our Executive Education Programmes are run at our dedicated Bristol Business Engagement Centre, providing a professional environment for your development needs. Located at Frenchay Campus, with easy access to the M4 and M5 motorways and Bristol Parkway rail station, it has four fully equipped training rooms, a communications and reception area.
To be able to fully participate in our programme, you will need to be comfortable with using the Internet and searching for information online. Session materials are presented through a number of sources including Microsoft Word, Power Point, pdf and online workbooks and discussions.
Supplementary fee information
Please see the table below for current fees and discounts available. All prices are VAT exempt.
Discounts can not be used in conjunction with each other. The greatest discount available will be applied at your booking confirmation.
|Cohort||Full Fee||Early Bird Discount||Alumni/UWE Staff Discount|
|Payment Deadline||28 January 2019||25 February 2019|
Fees include car parking, lunch and refreshments.
Tuesday 12 March 2019
Wednesday 13 March 2019
09.30 - 17.00
09.30 - 17.00
Bristol Business School, UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY.