Strategic Leaders Programme (ILM Level 7)
About this course
Page last updated 2 April 2020
At Bristol Business School, our portfolio of open programmes offers you and your business a flexible learning solution. We have a range of programmes covering a wide range of topics, including Finance, Strategy, Marketing, Leadership, Coaching and Mentoring, Innovation, and Design Thinking, among many others. Our programmes are delivered by experienced practitioners and academics, who combine cutting-edge thinking with a practical, real-world focus, ensuring our programmes meet professional and industry needs.
This qualification is a new style of programme aimed at engaging senior managers and leaders in analysing and researching aspects of their leadership and or management role or work which engages, fascinates or even drives them mad!
In exploring and researching the issues you will gain the ILM 7 Certificate in Leadership and Management through completing our 30 credit postgraduate module Evidencing Work Based Learning in Leadership and Change, which can then be used towards postgraduate qualifications here at UWE Bristol.
This highly participative and work based programme allows you to undertake a range of work based learning activities while applying theoretical material and research in order to develop your effectiveness in your role and workplace. This enables you to explore a range of leadership and change situations developing an in-depth understanding and knowledge of both the practical and theoretical issues linked to leadership and change in organisations.
The programme is about enabling the learner to explore, analyse and discover the knowledge in order to solve every day challenges in leading, managing and leading change.
Who is it for?
This Level 7 vocational qualification is designed for senior managers and leaders seeking to develop themselves as professionals, who recognise they must satisfy various stakeholders and who want to invest in their own personal approach.
The programme is designed for self motivated leaders and managers who wish to proactively develop their careers and education while at the same time seeking to resolve issues within their workplace for the benefit of the organisation.
In the words of ILM level 7 managers and leaders:
- Develop themselves - by participating in leadership and managing development and managing their personal brand
- Change things - and in doing so have to present evidence based arguments for change, construct various business cases, lead change implementation, take people with them, satisfy various stakeholders
- Manage day to day operations and activities, seek to make best use of their resources, align with and enact strategic priorities, develop and maintain high performance cultures
Participants need to have either a qualification at degree level in business, management or leadership or a minimum of five years' experience at a senior level in leadership or management. Participants must also show capability of studying and working at post graduate level.
If you are unsure if you meet these requirements, please feel free to contact us where we can talk through your individual situation and suitability to the course in more detail.
What does it cover?
The programme consists of an introduction to ILM as an organisation and to the ILM level 7 Leadership and Management qualification and academic study, followed by a series of one day or half day workshops held on a monthly basis which will consist of:
- participation in learning sets
- group critical review of relevant academic papers and texts
- peer presentations
- learning events
- library sessions
- review tutorials
ILM has designed the programme on the following principles:
- Enquiry-based approach, shift from "knowing" to 'knowing how to find out"
- The learner adopts an evidence based approach, knows about data
- "Robust, evidence based investigation" which can be defined as "rigorous and action centred enquiry"
- "The Level 7 thinking" must be put into practice
- The context, the current work situation, of the learning determines the nature of the learning, what is and how it is found out, how it is applied, and how both the finding out and the impact are evidenced
What do I get out of it?
- Continuing professional development in leadership, management and leading change
- Know how to use an enquiry led evidence based approach to develop your leadership and management capability
- Develop and enhance your personal approach
- Develop, implement and evaluate high-level, strategic, business cases
- Embed your leadership and management development in real work
- Work with and gain support from like minded people with experience in a wide range of sectors
- Gain access to latest research and literature on leadership, management and change
Benefits for employers
- Senior leaders and managers who have the ability to think and act strategically
- Senior leaders and managers who make informed evidence based decisions
- Motivated staff who can create and maintain a high performance culture
- Senior team members who are self-aware and take responsibility for self-development
What commitment do I have to make?
The demands of this programme are:
- Attending the academic module
- Time commitment - as a guide, UWE recommends 300 hours study time per a 30-credit postgraduate module (this includes class time, self-study and assignment writing)Studying and writing academic assignments and reflections to strict deadlines
- Completing your programme assessment
- You will be required to use our electronic BlackBoard system to access course materials and information.
We encourage participants to manage their own reading and are happy to supply a list of recommend texts on request.
On successful completion of your qualification you will be invited to join us at our ILM award celebration event to collect your certificate and celebrate your achievement.
This programme will require you to submit a presentation in the workplace supported by a 3,000-4,000 word paper which summarises the processes and discusses the learning achieved. By successfully completing the assessment, you will achieve both the:
- ILM Level 7 Certificate in Leadership and Management
- 30 credit postgraduate level Evidencing Work-Based Learning in Leadership and Change module
You will be given specific deadlines to submit your assignment. On successful completion of this assessment participants will receive their ILM Certificate and an overall module mark for the UWE module credits. This module may then be used towards a selection of our Master's level programmes.
Our Executive Education Programmes are run at our dedicated Bristol Business Engagement Centre, providing a professional environment for your development needs. Located at Frenchay Campus, with easy access to the M4 and M5 motorways and Bristol Parkway rail station, it has four fully equipped training rooms, a communications and reception area.
To be able to fully participate in our programme, you will need to be comfortable with using the Internet and searching for information online. Session materials are presented through a number of sources including Microsoft Word, Power Point, pdf and online workbooks and discussions.
As a leaner at the UWE Bristol, you will also have full access to our library on campus and all online materials and resources. Alongside this, you will be registered onto the ILM qualification and able to register for your ILM study membership and its range of benefits.
Supplementary fee information
Our next cohort dates will be released in March 2020. To be kept informed, please complete the enquiry form below in the 'how to apply' section.
|TBC||09.30 - 16.30||Frenchay Campus|
*You will only be required to attend one of these two dates. Your scheduled date will be confirmed to you in your first session. Please ensure you are available for either session.
Please see the table below for current fees and discounts available. All prices are VAT exempt.
Discounts can not be used in conjunction with each other. The greatest discount available will be applied at your booking confirmation.
|Early Bird Discount||£2,115|
|UWE Alumni Discount||£1,998|
|UWE Staff Discount||£1,998|
Fees include refreshments and lunch at all venues. Parking is only included at the Frenchay Campus location.
How to apply
Our next cohorts dates will be released in March 2020. To be kept informed, please complete the enquiry form below
|TBC||Book Now||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: Please contact us through the online enquiry form
- Telephone: +44(0)117 32 84896