Flight Test and Airworthiness
About this course
- Course code:
- Professional/Short Course
- Engineering Design and Mathematics
- Five days
- Programme leader:
- Pritesh Narayan
Page last updated 18 September 2018
This course introduces you to the field of airworthiness processes; type and aircraft certification, along with flight test principles and processes, tools and techniques. It will enable you to understand the complete aircraft as an integrated complex aircraft and identify workable aircraft configurations and layouts.
By completing the optional course assessment, this course can contribute towards one or more of the Awards within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. This framework of engineering modules gives participants the opportunity to take a flexible route towards a named Postgraduate Award, such as MSc Aerospace, MSc Professional Engineering or MSc Engineering Management.
Careers / Further study
Flight Test Principles and Practice can be taken as a stand-alone short course, or used to build up to a named postgraduate qualification (PG Certificate, PG Diploma or Masters) within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. For a full list of short courses please see our Engineering and Aerospace course list.
This module contributes towards the MSc Aerospace Programme, which is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS) and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). Both professional bodies also endorse the other professional engineering courses that we offer.
Our Engineering courses can also contribute to your portfolio of evidence for Chartered Engineering registration. Please refer to the Benefits of Professional Study for more information.
There are no formal entry requirements for participants wishing to undertake this course as a standalone short course without the optional module assessment.
Participants wishing to complete the module assessment are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) or alternatively have industrial experience. We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
Careers / Further study
Flight Test and Airworthiness can be taken as a stand-alone short course, or used to build up to a named postgraduate qualification (PG Certificate, PG Diploma or Masters) within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. For a full list of short courses please see our Engineering and Aerospace course list.
The course will cover the following topics:
- The role of flight test in aircraft design, development and certification
- Flight test theory, principles and processes, tools and techniques
- Testing the boundaries of the flight envelope for fixed wing and rotary aircraft
- Data transmission, telemetry, data analysis- Links to design and product development, military, civil fixed and rotary wing
- The performance and safety implications of the aircraft envelope
- Aircraft static and dynamic characteristics and control
- Instrumentation & systems test equipment, ground and air vehicle mounted
- Understanding when handling characteristics are acceptable
- Understanding the complete aircraft as an integrated complex aircraft
- Identifying workable aircraft configurations and layouts
- Airworthiness processes; Type and Aircraft certification for civilian and military aircraft, and engines
Guest lectures will, if possible, be included, including a session on accident investigation.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods will include lectures, presentations, case studies and considering a variety of different scenarios through the tutorial exercises.
A post-course assignment will be set which will comprise two parts:
- Part 1: Airworthiness assessment of design project vehicle
- Part 2: Assessment of vehicle balance, stability and control-ability
Supplementary fee information
Full fee: £1,530 (includes optional UWE module accreditation)
All course prices include course materials, car parking, lunch and refreshments.
This course runs alternative years and hence will next be scheduled to run in our 2019-20 academic year. To be kept up-to-date with our course dates please complete the enquiry form below.
Bristol Business School, UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
How to apply
For all enquiries, please complete our online enquiry form, or contact us on the number below.
For further information
- Email: For all course queries, please complete the on-line enquiry form above.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 83649