Professional short course
Aerospace Design Process
About this course
Page last updated 14 December 2018
Aerospace design projects are generally characterised by large distributed design teams and long duration projects - because of this Aerospace design engineers frequently do not have a strong overview of the entire design process and the relative infrequency of projects will gain experience at a relatively low rate.
This module intends to give you an understanding of the total design process associated with aerospace products and to give you a firm grasp of the dynamics of, and relative importance of, each stage of the design process.
By completing the optional course assessment, this course can contribute towards one or more of the Awards within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. This framework of engineering modules gives you the opportunity to take a flexible route towards a named Postgraduate Award, such as MSc Aerospace, MSc Professional Engineering or MSc Engineering Management.
Careers / Further study
Aerospace Design Process can be taken as a stand-alone short course, or used to build up to a named postgraduate qualification (PG Certificate, PG Diploma or Masters) within our Engineering Capability Development Framework. For a full list of short courses please see our Engineering and Aerospace course list.
This module contributes towards the MSc Aerospace Programme, which is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS) and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). Both professional bodies also endorse the other professional engineering courses that we offer.
Our Engineering courses can also contribute to your portfolio of evidence for Chartered Engineering registration. Please refer to the Benefits of Professional Study for more information.
There are no formal entry requirements if you wish to undertake this course as a standalone short course without the optional module assessment.
If you wish to complete the module assessment you are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) or alternatively have industrial experience. We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
- Capturing customer requirements. Identifying the customers. Documentation of requirements. Types of requirements. Ways to evaluate relative importance of requirements. Aerospace certification and airworthiness.
- Create design solutions. Structured design methods for generating design alternatives. Team working, team selection and coordination. Use of IT. Internet and intranet technologies. XML for knowledge capture. Active Server Pages (ASP), Blackboard systems, aerospace ontologies/object classification/taxonomies for data interchange. TRIZ
- Evaluate design solutions. Formal ranking and evaluation methods. Risk analysis. Functional analysis. Top-level synthesis; Subsystem synthesis. Systems engineering management and control. Optimisation techniques. QFD. Value engineering.
- Design selection and refinement. Optimisation techniques. Design automation. Knowledge based tools, ICAD, Knowledge management. Unit cost modelling and analysis.
Based on numbers, background and experience, you will be placed into teams and will be sent a different information and reference pack.
When the teams assemble to undertake their work each team member will have to interpret and contribute the knowledge that they possess from their individual pre-module study. Essentially each team member will bring expert knowledge to the group.
It is expected that the assignment would focus on some aspect of the design process and would require you to undertake a meaningful and rewarding investigation within your own organisation.
Supplementary fee information
|Monday 1 to Friday 5 April 2019||£1,530 (includes optional UWE module accreditation)|
All course prices include course materials, car parking, lunch and refreshments.
UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
How to apply
|If you wish to gain university credits by completing the assignment, please register for our Engineering Capability Development Framework (If you have already registered, please contact your course administrator directly to make a booking.)||Enquire Now|
|If you wish to attend the course without completing the UWE accreditation, please complete our online booking form. All participants will receive a certificate of attendance.||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: For all course queries, please complete the on-line enquiry form above.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 86304