Professional course Air Quality Action Planning
Page last updated 22 April 2022
The Air Quality Management Resource Centre (AQMRC) in the Department of Geography and Environmental Management is pleased to offer an exciting suite of Air Quality short courses. This new suite consists of five distinct courses covering the following topics:
- Air Quality Management
- Air Quality Monitoring
- Air Quality Modelling
- Air Quality Assessment
- Air Quality Action Planning
Delivered as self-learning (materials access only) or blended learning (materials + live session), where each topic will provide you with a set of interactive web-based materials to work through in advance of a live contact session with the course leaders and your peers, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the materials in more depth and undertake related activities to that topic.
Individuals are invited to book on as many or few of the days as they wish.
"I can use what I learnt all week to improve my Councils' AQ arrangements, write accurate review and assessment reports, review 3rd party reports and attract developer contributions to air quality via CIL and S106." Mike Jephcott, Senior Environmental Health Officer
What does it cover?
This course describes the legislative background to the requirements for local authorities to produce an Air Quality Action Plan (AQAP), including how to declare/amend/revoke an Air Quality Management Area (AQMA), the steps involved in consulting on and developing an AQAP, the implementation process and steps to be taken to monitor and report on progress with the AQAP. This course also presents a range of potential solutions to air quality management ranging from the behavioural to technological. These innovative approaches are presented to demonstrate measures that may be implemented to reduce emissions through Action Planning.
Who is it for?
"The learning I will apply back at work will be the importance of monitoring air quality when looking at planning applications and really think about the potential effects on air quality the proposed application can have." Amelia Rivers, Environmental Health Officer
The courses will be of interest to students, practitioners and policy makers involved in air quality management in:
- Environmental health/protection
- Public health
- Land-use planning
There are no formal entry requirements to join this course.
A good level of English language is required to be able to follow the content.
This course will cover the following areas:
- Background to Air Quality Action Planning
- How to declare/amend/revoke an Air Quality Management Area (AQMA)
- Developing Air Quality Action Plans
- Consulting on Air Quality Action Plans
- Measures to improve Air Quality
- Quantification of Action Plan measures
- Implementation and evaluation of Air Quality Action Plans
- Air Quality Action Plan Progress Reporting
Learning and Teaching
How is the programme delivered?
There are two options to access each session:
- Online Materials Access Only: This option will provide you with access to the online interactive materials for 9 weeks from the start date.
- Online Materials + Live Session: This option provides you with access to the online interactive materials for 9 weeks from the start date. Approx 5 weeks after the start date there will be a scheduled live session with the tutors on a set date. See details under Prices and Dates.
This course will take approximately 6hrs of individual learning (online materials), plus 5hrs live session time if selecting 'materials + live session'.
It is recommended to work though the online materials in advance of the live session.
For those accessing the materials and completing the live session you will be issued with a UWE Bristol Certificate of Attendance for 5 CPD hours + self-study.
IES and IAQM members can submit this certificate as part of their CPD activity record.
No CPD certificate will be provided for those joining the Online Materials Access Only sessions.
UWE Bristol is superbly equipped with libraries and computer labs, and an excellent campus environment. Our online learning environments deliver an integrated learning experience to you and you also have access to a vast number of professional and academic journals and databases online through the UWE Bristol library.
Find out more about the facilities and resources UWE has to offer.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
|Access to online materials||25 April 2022||anytime||Online|
|Live Session||no longer available||10:00 - 16:00||UWE Frenchay Campus|
UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
All prices are VAT exempt. Discounts cannot be used in conjunction with each other. The greatest discount available will be applied at your booking confirmation.
|Early Bird Discount Materials + Live Session||no longer available|
|Deadline for Early Bird bookings & payments||no longer available|
|Full Fee Materials + Live Session||no longer available|
|UWE Alumni/Staff Materials + Live Session||no longer available|
|Future Space Discount Materials + Live Session||no longer available|
|Course Connect Discount Materials + Live Session||no longer available|
|Full Fee Materials Access Only||£95 per topic|
|£475 for all 5 topics|
|Deadline for all other bookings & payments||11 May 2022|
How to apply
How to apply
To book a place, please complete the online booking form below.
|2022||Book Now||Enquire Now|
You will have the option to book on one or multiple topics as well as choosing your preferred method of study (Materials Access Only or Materials + Live Session).
As part of the booking process you will be registered as a UWE student and issued a UWE email and password, to enable access to the required online resources.
For further information
- Email: For specific questions in relation to the course, i.e. content, suitability, assessments, etc. please contact the Programme Leader, Dr Jo Barnes (Jo.Barnes@uwe.ac.uk). For all queries regarding administration aspects of registration, i.e. dates, fees, etc. please contact us using the online enquiry form link or phone number below.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81043 (option 1, then option 3)