Professional course Air Quality Action Planning
Page last updated 22 October 2021
The Air Quality Management Resource Centre (AQMRC) in the Department of Geography and Environmental Management is pleased to offer an exciting suite of online Air Quality short courses. This new suite consists of five distinct courses covering the following topics:
- Air Quality Management
- Air Quality Monitoring
- Air Quality Modelling
- Air Quality Assessment
- Air Quality Action Planning
Delivered as self-learning (materials access only) or blended learning (materials + live session), where each topic will provide you with a set of interactive web-based materials to work through in advance of a live online contact session with the course leaders and your peers, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the materials in more depth and undertake related activities to that topic.
Individuals are invited to book on as many or few of the days as they wish.
"I can use what I learnt all week to improve my Councils' AQ arrangements, write accurate review and assessment reports, review 3rd party reports and attract developer contributions to air quality via CIL and S106." Mike Jephcott, Senior Environmental Health Officer
What does it cover?
This course describes the legislative background to the requirements for local authorities to produce an Air Quality Action Plan (AQAP), including how to declare/amend/revoke an Air Quality Management Area (AQMA), the steps involved in consulting on and developing an AQAP, the implementation process and steps to be taken to monitor and report on progress with the AQAP. This course also presents a range of potential solutions to air quality management ranging from the behavioural to technological. These innovative approaches are presented to demonstrate measures that may be implemented to reduce emissions through Action Planning.
Who is it for?
"The learning I will apply back at work will be the importance of monitoring air quality when looking at planning applications and really think about the potential effects on air quality the proposed application can have." Amelia Rivers, Environmental Health Officer
The courses will be of interest to students, practitioners and policy makers involved in air quality management in:
- Environmental health/protection
- Public health
- Land-use planning
There are no formal entry requirements to join this course.
A good level of English language is required to be able to follow the content.
This course will cover the following areas:
- Background to Air Quality Action Planning
- How to declare/amend/revoke an Air Quality Management Area (AQMA)
- Developing Air Quality Action Plans
- Consulting on Air Quality Action Plans
- Measures to improve Air Quality
- Quantification of Action Plan measures
- Implementation and evaluation of Air Quality Action Plans
- Air Quality Action Plan Progress Reporting
Learning and Teaching
How is the programme delivered?
This programme is delivered through our online learning platform, meaning you can attend and study from anywhere in the world!
There are two options to access each session:
- Online Materials Access Only: This option will provide you with access to the online interactive materials for 12 weeks from the start date.
- Online Materials + Live Session: This option provides you with access to the online interactive materials for 12 weeks from the start date. Approx 5 weeks after the start date there will be a scheduled online live session with the tutors from 09.30 - 12.30 on a set date. See details under Prices and Dates.
This course will take approximately 6hrs of individual learning (online materials), plus 3hrs webinar time if selecting 'materials + live session'.
It is recommended to work though the online materials in advance of the live session.
For those accessing the materials and completing the online live session you will be issued with a UWE Bristol Certificate of Attendance for 3 CPD hours + self-study.
IES and IAQM members can submit this certificate as part of their CPD activity record.
No CPD certificate will be provided for those joining the Online Materials Access Only sessions.
This programme is delivered fully online. UWE Bristol has invested significantly in online resources to support your study. We use the 'Blackboard' online platform to deliver an integrated learning experience to you. Access to this course will require you to be enrolled as a UWE student.
To ensure you able to access materials and can participate fully in the live sessions, if you plan to attend these, please see the following required computer specifications:
Operating system: Windows 7+, Mac OS 10.9
Web browser: Firefox is the optimal browser. However other browsers such as Google Chrome (version 79 or later) are also compatible.
- 256 MB RAM
- 20 MB free disk space
- Internet Access - 28.8 kbps speed or above (broadband connection highly recommended). Slower internet connections may cause issues with audio and video.
- Microphone and speakers/headphones
We also recommend you check your firewall settings in advance, especially if you are using a work computer, to ensure your firewall will allow you to access our sites.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
|Access to online materials||20 September 2021||09:30||Online|
|Live Session||12 November 2021||09:30 - 12:30 BST||Online|
All prices are VAT exempt. Discounts cannot be used in conjunction with each other. The greatest discount available will be applied at your booking confirmation.
|Early Bird Materials + Live Session(recommended)||£180 per topic|
|£900 for all 5 topics|
|Deadline for Early Bird bookings & payments||10 September 2021|
|Full Fee Materials + Live Session(recommended)||£215 per topic|
|£1075 for all 5 topics|
|UWE Alumni/Student Materials + Live Session(recommended)||£182 per topic|
|£910 for all 5 topics|
|Full Fee Materials Access Only||£95 per topic|
|£475 for all 5 topics|
|Deadline for all other bookings & payments||22 October 2021|
How to apply
How to apply
Please complete the online booking form. You will have the option to book on one or multiple topics as well as choosing your preferred method of study (Materials Access Only or Materials + Live Session):
|September 2021||Book Now||Enquire Now|
As part of the booking process you will be registered as a UWE student and issued a UWE email and password, to enable access to the required online resources.
For further information
- Email: For specific questions in relation to the course, i.e. content, suitability, assessments, etc. please contact the Programme Leader, Dr Jo Barnes (Jo.Barnes@uwe.ac.uk). For all queries regarding administration aspects of registration, i.e. dates, fees, etc. please contact us using the online enquiry form link or phone number below.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 86927