Professional course Air Quality Modelling
Page last updated 4 December 2020
The Air Quality Management Resource Centre (AQMRC) in the Department of Geography and Environmental Management is pleased to offer an exciting suite of online Air Quality short courses. This new suite consists of five distinct courses covering the following topics:
- Air Quality Management
- Air Quality Monitoring
- Air Quality Modelling
- Air Quality Assessment
- Air Quality Action Planning
Delivered as self-learning (materials access only) or blended learning (materials + live session), where each topic will provide you with a set of interactive web-based materials to work through in advance of a live online contact session with the course leaders and your peers, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the materials in more depth and undertake related activities to that topic.
Individuals are invited to book on as many or few of the days as they wish.
For this specific topic, temporary access to dispersion modelling and mapping software will also be provided.
"I can use what I learnt all week to improve my Councils' AQ arrangements, write accurate review and assessment reports, review 3rd party reports and attract developer contributions to air quality via CIL and S106." Mike Jephcott, Senior Environmental Health Officer
What does it cover?
This course provides an understanding of the theory and practice of using dispersion models to replicate the behaviour of pollution in the atmosphere. The course will explain the rationale behind air quality modelling using examples of particular models to describe the ways in which they are used and highlight some of the potential limitations and problems associated with them.
The course also provides a basic introduction to model input data, the basic principles and assumptions involved and the concepts of model validation, verification and adjustment, including worked examples of a modelling scenario in ADMS-Roads and the verification and adjustment process.
This course would be of value to anyone interested or involved in the use of local-scale atmospheric dispersion modelling.
Who is it for?
"I would like to use this opportunity to thank your team for the amazing course on AQ Modelling at UWE. I have found its content really useful and really enjoyed the afternoon session where we were allowed to play with the ADMS Roads Model and test different scenarios." Pedro Rocha e Abreu, Air Quality Officer (MIAQM), Oxford City Council
The courses will be of interest to practitioners and policy makers involved in air quality management in:
- Environmental health/protection
- Public health
- Land-use planning
This course will cover the following areas:
- Rationale for Air Quality Modelling
- Types of models and their uses
- Monitoring strategies for Local Air Quality Management
- Model input data
- Principles and assumptions
- Modelling scenarios
- Model validation, verification and adjustment
- Data validation and ratification
Learning and Teaching
How is the programme delivered?
This programme is delivered via online learning through our online learning platform, meaning you can attend and study from anywhere in the world!
There are two options to access each session:
- Online Materials Access Only: This option will provide you with access to the online interactive materials for 6 weeks from the start date.
- Online Materials + Live Session: This option provides you with access to the online interactive materials for 6 weeks from the start date. 4 weeks after the start date there will be the scheduled online live session with the tutors. This session will take place form 09.30 12.30 on the set date.
For those accessing the materials and competing the online live session you will be issued with a certificate of attendance from UWE Bristol for 3 CPD hours + self-study, which you can then present to IES.
Unfortunately, no CPD certificate will be provided for those joining the Online Materials Access Only sessions.
This programme is delivered fully online. To ensure you able to access materials and can participate fully in the live sessions, if you plan to attend these, please see the following required computer specifications:
Operating system: Windows 7+, Mac OS 10.9
Web browser: Firefox is the optimal browser. However other browsers such as Microsoft Edge might also be compatible.
Required Plugins: Adobe Flash Player
- 256 MB RAM
- 20 MB free disk space
- Internet Access - 28.8 kbps speed or above (broadband connection highly recommended). Slower internet connections may cause issues with audio and video.
- Soundcard with microphone and headphones (a headset with microphone/headphones is highly recommended)
We also recommend you check your firewall setting, especially if you are using a work computer to ensure your firewall will allow you to access our sites.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
|Spring 2021: Access to online materials (6wks)||TBC||Online|
|Spring 2021: Live Session||TBC||Online|
All prices are VAT exempt. Discounts cannot be used in conjunction with each other. The greatest discount available will be applied at your booking confirmation
|Full Fee: Materials + Live Session (recommended)||£215|
|Full Fee: Materials Access Only||£140|
|UWE Alumni/Student: Materials + Live Session (recommended)||£182|
|UWE Alumni/Student: Materials Access Only||£107|
|Payment deadline for all fees||TBC|
How to apply
How to apply
The booking form will be available once dates have been confirmed. In the meantime, please complete the enquiry form below if you wish to register your interest.
You will have the option to book on one or multiple topics as well as choosing your preferred method of study (materials only or materials + live session):
|Spring 2021||TBC||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: For specific questions in relation to the course, i.e. content, suitability, assessments, etc. please contact the Programme Leader, Dr Jo Barnes (Jo.Barnes@uwe.ac.uk). For all queries regarding administration aspects of registration, i.e. dates, fees, etc. please contact us using the online enquiry form link or phone number below.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 86927