Professional/Short Course Real Estate Finance and Investment
Page last updated 12 March 2021
Module counts towards: MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment (Distance Learning) MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management (Distance Learning)
The department of Architecture and Built Environment are pleased to offer a suite of postgraduate level modules in Real Estate Management as continuing professional development (CPD). Offering practical application alongside theoretical underpinning to help develop and broaden your knowledge in the topic.
This suite consists of courses covering the following topics:
Delivered as blended learning over a ten week period, you will have access to your course materials via our online learning platform to work though in your own time, while in-person sessions over the 5 day block delivery, will provide an opportunity for you to discuss the materials in more depth.
There are no formal entry requirements for participants wishing to undertake this course as a stand-alone CPD course without the optional course assessment.
If you wish to complete the course assessment you are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) in a related area or alternatively have relevant industrial experience in property.
We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
If you are a non-UK student you will need to show your passport on entry to the UK. Please check your eligibility to visit and study in the UK here. If you are a non-Irish EU national currently resident in Ireland please contact us directly for further advice.
If English is not your country's first language, you will be required to provide evidence to show you meet the UK Border Agency and the University's minimum English Language requirements. Further details are available on our English Language Requirements webpage
What does it cover?
- The Who, Why and How of Investing in Property
- Property as an Investment Class
- Financing Options and Structuring
- Risk vs Return
- Debt Capital Markets
- Loan to Value
- Interest Rate Cover Ratios
- Banking Covenants in Loan Documentation
- Residual Positions
- Ability to Refinance
- Revolving Credit Facilities
- Interest Rate Management and Hedging
- Foreign Investment and Exchange Rate Risk
- Covenant Strength
- Accounts Analysis
- Sector Exposure
- Tenant Exposure
- Debt Portfolio Risk Management
- Development Finance vs Investment Finance Considerations
- Equity Capital Markets
- SPV investment
- Portfolio Financing
- Balance Sheet Lending
- Debt Clubs
- Debt Syndication
- Joint Ventures
- Private Finance Initiative
- Infrastructure Funds
- The Importance of Qualitative Issues
- Working relationships
- Personal judgement
- Practical Case Studies and Experience from Industry
What will the course outcome be?
- Explain the underlying concepts of financial investment and to apply these concepts to real estate as an investment class. Discuss and evaluate the position of real estate as an asset class in the national and global investment market;
- Choose and compute appropriate calculations to undertake complex financial appraisals on a range of real estate and non-real estate investments. Critically assess appraisal tools and to analyse the results of calculations to produce advice and conclusions for the design and assembly of an investment portfolio containing property;
- Identify and analyse risk in investment and critically evaluate portfolio and single asset strategies to manage risk including the differentiation of conflicting options and selection and calculation of investment performance indicators;
- Appreciate the economics of land value creation through development activity and recognise the economic constraints under which development decisions are taken;
- Critically discuss conceptual models of the planning and development process including the activities, elements, skills and research intelligence involved;
- Identify and appraise potential development sites, propose optimum development strategy as mediated by national and local planning policy, and critically evaluate their financial viability;
- Demonstrate knowledge of complex real estate and financial structures, including legal, technical and liability implications.
Learning and Teaching
You'll have access to recorded lectures from leading academics in the real estate management industry. Alongside these recorded lectures you'll be able to attend 5 in-person workshops on campus. Our comprehensive learning platform provides your course resources and puts you in contact with your tutor and fellow students.
We assess your work through a variety of coursework assignments, including essays, reports, surveys and presentations. We also encourage you to do 'formative work' to prepare for assessment. This does not count towards final marks, but the feedback you receive helps improve your performance.
The assessment for this course includes three elements: a multiple choice exam, presentation and professional report.
For individuals attending without undertaking the assessment, this course counts as formal CPD required by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
If you undertake the module accreditation and decide to continue with your studies, this module can be used towards our following awards:
· MSc Real Estate Finance and Investment (distance learning programme) is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Investment Property Forum.
· MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management (distance learning programme) is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
UWE Bristol has invested significantly in online and campus resources to support your study. We use the 'Blackboard Collaborate' online platform to deliver an integrated learning experience to you and you also have access to a vast number of professional and academic journals and databases online through the UWE Bristol library.
Find out more about the facilities and resources UWE has to offer.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
This course runs once a year and is planned to run from Spring 2022.
As an indication, the cost of this course was £1,583 for UK/EU and £2,292 for International participants in the last academic year, so there might be a small increase for 2022.
Exact course dates, updated fees and online booking forms will be published here in the Summer 2021. Please complete our online enquiry form below to be notified once dates are available.
|To online materials||TBC|
|Webinar (live session) and in-person delivery*||TBC||TBC|
All prices are VAT exempt
|UK/EU students fee||TBC|
|International students fee||TBC|
For information on fees, managing your money and determining your fee status, please go to our fees and funding pages.
*All our campuses remain open and we anticipate that this will continue to be the case, however, should Government advice and/or restrictions change we will look for alternative means of delivery. This could mean moving the delivery online or to a later date. If the dates change we will offer students the choice of moving to the new dates or a full refund.
How to apply
How to apply
As this module carries university accreditation, please note that once you have submitted your booking form, you will be required to provide the following supporting information to the administration team for the module tutor to be able to review and formally accept your application as required by the university:
· An up-to-date copy of your Curriculum Vitae (including contact details of a work or academic reference)
· A brief personal statement to support your application
· A copy of your highest qualification certificate and transcript of modules studied
· A copy of photographic proof of ID (i.e. driver's licence/passport). For non UK students, this must be a copy of your passport
For further information
- Email: For specific questions in relation to the course, i.e. content, suitability, assessments, etc. please contact programme leaders Thomas Appleby (Thomas.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Grazyna Wiejak-Roy (email@example.com). For all queries regarding administration aspects of registration, i.e. dates, fees, etc. please contact us using the online enquiry form link or telephone number below.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 3286 927