Study day Understanding and Preventing Childhood Obesity
Training for Health Visitors
Page last updated 28 September 2023
UWE Bristol is offering new one day courses, supported by NHS England, to develop skills for health visitors around understanding and preventing childhood obesity.
These training days are an opportunity for Health Visitors to learn from both academic and practitioner expertise, share learning with each other and develop useful practical skills to take back to the workplace.
You must be a registered practitioner.
The syllabus will typically include:
- A general overview of the epidemiology of childhood obesity, its social context, and the risk factors associated with it
- An overview of Government obesity guidelines and the National Childhood Measurement Programme
- An understanding of the basic principles of community-based family obesity interventions
- An introduction to the essentials of obesity management including nutrition and physical activity
- Tools on behaviour change techniques, motivational interviews and raising complex issues
- Learning methods will include preparatory work, lectures, small group discussion, quizzes and critical analysis. Students will be signposted to other resources, and encouraged to share experience and understanding.