Organoleptic Judge Course
About this course
Page last updated 18 April 2019
The aim of this five day course is for you to develop your sense of smell and use it as an important qualitative and quantitative approach to assessing odour, especially malodour.
If you are an academic, a doctor, a dentist, a dental hygienist, nurse or a technician, then this course is suitable for you.
You will be provided with handouts on the methods used in the course along with your score sheets from carrying out assessments.
Upon successful completion, you will receive a certificate of competence and recognition that you have attended this event.
The five day course will involve a mixture of lecture and practicals conducted in the laboratory, as follows:
- Background information on oral malodour and its aetiology
- Organoleptic assessment of oral malodour
- Instrumental analysis of oral malodour
- How to conduct clinical trials
- How to continue training
- Screening tests for anosmia
- Odour strength tests (in vitro)
- Groups and types of malodour compounds: discrimination tests
- Hedonic tests
- Intensity tests (0 to 5 scale)
- The OralChroma
- The SIFT-MS
- Tests on human volunteers
- Tooth brush impression of the tongue biofilm
- Discussion [throughout and for final session]
- Data transformation and interpretation
- Health and safety issues for Breath Judges
- Continuation of training [self-training]
Supplementary fee information
£2,500 (5 day course)
£1,500 (2 day course)
Please click on the Apply Now button to view dates.
Please contact us to be added to our mailing list.