Study day Managing Practice Learning for Social Work Students (Supervisors and Practice Educators)
Page last updated 4 October 2021
This online course aims to prepare practice supervisors to work with UWE Bristol's BSc(Hons) Social Work students undertaking both the 70 and 100 day placements. Most supervisors enrolling for this course will be working within the voluntary, independent and private sector, but some may also work within statutory teams too. The course is also suitable for Social Workers wishing to gain their Practice Education Award (also known as PEPs- Practice Educator Professional Standards). However, any independent Social Workers considering applying should, in the first instance speak with Anna Elliot - Anna3.Elliott@uwe.ac.uk.
The course is mapped to PEPS
PEPS Domain A - Work with others to organise an effective learning environment
- Day 2: PEPS Domain B Teaching, facilitating and supporting learning and professional development in practice
- Day 3: PEPS Domains B (as above) and C - Manage the fair and transparent assessment of students in practice.
- Day 4: Practice Educators / those working towards PEPS only. Domain D - Developing knowledge and continuing performance as a practice educator
The course will enable you to:
1. Gain information about practice learning and the Social Work Degree.
2. Understand the different roles and responsibilities when working with students in practice.
3. Prepare for working with a student, by
- a. Identifying learning opportunities in the workplace
- b. Identifying the values that underpin practice
- c. Identifying what you have to offer personally and professionally.
4. Develop an understanding of the supervisory process and the skills involved.
5. Understand the assessment requirements and your role in this.
6. Find out about support available to practice supervisors and educators including use of UWE Bristol's Library facilities.
7. Consider the role of service users and carers in practice learning.
The course is mapped to PEPS Domains A, B, C and D.
You'll have access to a range of on-campus and online facilities to support your learning, including the University Library which is open 24 hours a day.
The Faculty of Health and Applied Sciences has an excellent reputation for the quality of its teaching and the facilities it provides.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
This online course is free for supervisors and those wishing to qualify as Practice Educators who commit to taking a student on a UWE Bristol placement starting September/October 2021.
Please click on the Apply Now button to view dates
Please contact us (email@example.com) to be added to our mailing list.