Professional/Short Course How to Hold a Coaching Conversation
Page last updated 4 October 2021
A coaching approach is a great tool for managers to draw upon to help support, motivate and develop their teams and create a positive culture within their organisations.
This programme focuses on developing your skills to create a culture of collaboration and openness within your team and wider organisation to help self-motivation; creative thinking; and self-direction flourish. By embedding a coaching approach into your everyday conversations will allow you to motivate your team to go beyond their comfort zone and expand on their knowledge and support their growth.
This eight-week programme will give you the space to review the principles, skills and models of coaching, including the GROW model, and introduce a team coaching approach through the self-study materials, while bringing your learning and experience into the live session to develop your skills further to take back into your workplace, while developing your support network through your course peers.
Who is it for?
This programme is ideal for:
- Supervisors, team leaders, and managers looking to develop their leadership style to include a coaching approach to support their team members and encourage self-direction
- Individuals looking to develop new tools and techniques on holding probing conversations with others (such as your stakeholders) to reach solutions/generate ideas
What do I get out of it?
For the individual
- Gain a fundamental understanding of what coaching is and how to embed a coaching approach into conversations
- Learn tools and techniques to use coaching methods to develop conversations with your team and other individuals
- Learn how to use questioning effectively
- Gain confidence in handling those trickier conversations with team members
For the organisation
- Develop a broader coaching approach with your workforce to develop solution-based conversations that encourage the individual to think of their own solutions!
- Develop confidence in your leaders and employees to hold more in-depth and meaningful conversations
- Improve working relationships through rapport building to generate trust
- Support creating a culture of innovation and idea sharing
- Improve team performance through continuous learning
There are no formal entry requirements for this programme. It is ideal for those new to the ideas and techniques of coaching and holding coaching style conversations.
This eight-week programme is delivered through a series of online self-study materials and live tutor-led sessions to support you through your learning around the benefits of using a coaching style, and your preparation to complete your recorded coaching conversation to achieve your ILM digital badge.
Week 1 and 2 (self study):
- The importance of coaching
- How to hold a coaching conversation
Week 3 (self study and live session):
- Reviewing the benefits of a coaching style approach
Week 4 and 5 (self study):
- Building Rapport
- Keeping a Future Focus
- Structuring the Conversation
- Making the Conversation Purposeful
Week 6 (self study and live session):
- Building trust and rapport
Week 7 (self study):
- Revision and preparation for recorded assessment
Week 8 (self study and live session):
- Holding your coaching conversation
Learning and Teaching
This programme is delivered through our online learning platform, meaning you can attend and study from anywhere in the world!
Online self-study materials
You will have access to the programme online materials from the start date of your programme, which walk you through the fundamental skills required to have successful coaching conversations.
The online materials are formed through a mixture of written documents, video recordings and details of further reading.
Online live sessions
These live sessions with your tutor will give you and your peer group a space to reflect on the materials you have been working through in advance of the session and to look at the practical skills around holding a coaching conversation. The final session you will focus on you holding your coaching conversation and recoding this, to achieve your digital credential.
Live sessions are three hours in duration.
This programme offers a high level of flexibility through self-study materials for you to develop your knowledge and understanding, while bringing your learning into the practical sessions to reflect and develop.
As a guide to the time, you will need to commit to successfully complete this course, we would recommend:
- Self-study online activity: 12 hours
- Participation in live sessions: 9 hours
- Assessment preparation: 4 hours
- Undertaking your assessment: 1 hour
Total: 26 hours
To achieve your ILM digital badge for the programme, you will be required to undertake and record a 20-minute coaching conversation, which demonstrates you are able to:
- Structure the conversation
- Keep a future focus
- Make the conversation purposeful
- Build rapport
This assessment will be taken as part of the programme live session.
On successful completion of the assessment, you will receive a digital badge in 'How to Hold a Coaching Conversation' from the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM)
UWE Bristol has invested significantly in online and campus resources to support your study. This programme is delivered fully online.
To ensure you can participate fully in the session and access programme materials, please see the following required computer specifications:
Operating system: Windows 7+, Mac OS 10.9
Web browser: Firefox is the optimal browser. However other browsers such as as Google Chrome and Edge are also compatible.
Required Plugins: Adobe Flash Player
- 256 MB RAM
- 20 MB free disk space
- Internet Access - 28.8 kbps speed or above (Broadband connection highly recommended). Slower internet connections may cause issues with audio and video.
- Soundcard with microphone and headphones (A headset with microphone/headphones is highly recommended)
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
Please see the table below for fees and discounts available. All prices are VAT exempt.
Discounts cannot be used in conjunction with each other. The greatest discount available will be applied at your booking confirmation.
|Payment deadline for Early Bird||16 August 2021|
|Course Connect Partner||£388|
|Payment deadline for all other bookings||4 October 2021|
|Week 1: self study||w/c 18 October 2021|
|Week 2: self study||w/c 25 October 2021|
|Week 3: live session||Wednesday 3 November 2021||14:00 - 17:00|
|Week 4: self study||w/c 8 November 2021|
|Week 5: self study||w/c 15 November 2021|
|Week 6: live session||Wednesday 17 November 2021||14:00 - 17:00|
|Week 7: self study||w/c 22 November 2021|
|Week 8: live session||Wednesday 1 December 2021||10:00 - 13:00|
How to apply
How to apply
|October 2021||Book Now||Enquire Now|
On successful completion of this programme, individuals may wish to study:
- Developing Effective Facilitation Skills
- Certificate in Effective Coaching and Mentoring (ILM Level 5)
- Certificate for Executive and Senior Level Coaches and Mentors (ILM level 7)
For further information
- Email: Please contact us by using the enquire now link above.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 84896