Professional/Short course Step Into Your Future
A career coaching programme for Social Science graduates.
Page last updated 16 November 2023
Do you want to step into a career you'll love? This exciting coaching programme is designed to support recent graduates of Social Science degrees who want to:
- have a successful start to their career
- make a change to their current working situation.
You will receive individualised, tailored support and feedback from a dedicated career coach, in addition to bespoke careers resources, designed specifically for social science graduates. You will also have the opportunity to engage with your peers through discussion and Q&A sessions.
Your career coach will support you to identify your career-related goals and plan your next steps. They will also help you explore and overcome any challenges and barriers to success, and provide opportunities for you to practice and develop key skills in a supportive environment.
In addition to career coaching, you will have access to bespoke careers resources, designed specifically with social science graduates in mind. These resources will help you with any actions that you've identified with your career coach, such as reaching out to potential professional contacts or organisations you'd like to work for, identifying your personal strengths, values and professional interests, and writing job applications that clearly demonstrate why you are the best person for the role!
What will you get out of it?
Up to five one-to-one coaching sessions. By the end of the coaching, depending on your needs, you will:
- have a clearer idea of career areas that interest you, that fit with your identity, strengths, values and priorities as a graduate
- have developed your own tailored, flexible career action plan that suits your situation
- be aware of a wider range of sources of job opportunities
- be able to write compelling application materials that demonstrate a deeper understanding of career areas that interest you, and that articulate your motivations and relevant skills
- be more confident about your interview technique
- have started to develop and expand your own career network.
To be offered a place on the programme, you must have graduated from a UWE Bristol Social Science undergraduate (single or joint honours) or postgraduate degree (Psychology, Sociology, Criminology, Philosophy, and Politics and International Relations) in 2023.
With your career coach, you will identify and develop your own goals and programme of activity.
You will have access to resources that will help you:
- develop your self-awareness, focusing on your priorities as a graduate, and your strengths, skills, and interests
- explore career possibilities: identifying your options and exploring any barriers to entry
- understand employer expectations, developing skills such as networking, and planning your next steps
- find and create work opportunities, including creative job searching
- apply to opportunities: articulating skills, strengths and motivations
- interview well: building technique and confidence.
Through your graduate UWE Bristol login, you'll retain access to these career resources once your coaching has come to an end.
Learning and Teaching
Your own career coach
You will be allocated a career coach for the programme, who will work with you to understand your unique needs and challenges. Your coach will then provide appropriate support and help you to put together an appropriate plan of action. This will be done over a maximum of five one-to-one coaching sessions.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
This programme is offered free of charge.
Places are currently offered on a rolling basis, and coaching will start when convenient to participants.
How to apply
How to apply
Please register your interest via this online form.
Once your form has been submitted, a member of the coaching team will be in touch by email as soon as possible to confirm your place and next steps.
If the course you are applying for is fully online or blended learning, please note that you are expected to provide your own headsets/microphones.
For further information
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81134