Professional/Short Course Strategic Estate Management
Page last updated 11 August 2022
Module counts towards: MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment; MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management
The UWE Department of Architecture and the Built Environment are pleased to offer a suite of additional postgraduate level modules in Real Estate Management as continuing professional development (CPD), accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
These modules offer practical application alongside theoretical underpinning to help develop and broaden your knowledge in the topic.
The modules starting in October are:
This suite also consists of modules that will start in January 2023 covering the following topics:
- Real Estate Investment and Development
- Managerial Finance for the Built Environment
- Sustainability in the Built Environment
- Real Estate Finance and Investment
Please click on the links above for further information, to make an enquiry or to book a place.
Modules are offered as on campus, or as distance learning, over a nine-week period. Please use the 'find a course' search here and you will find distance learning options labelled as such next to the on-campus options. You will have access to your learning materials via our online learning platform. If you chose the distance learning mode you will be able to progress through them in your own time, while live webinar sessions will provide an opportunity for you to discuss the materials in more depth.
There are no formal entry requirements for participants wishing to undertake this course as a stand-alone CPD course without the optional course assessment.
If you wish to complete the course assessment you are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) in a related area or alternatively have relevant industrial experience in property.
We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
If English is not your country's first language, you will be required to provide evidence to show you meet the University's minimum English Language requirements. Further details are available on our English Language Requirements webpage.
The recession of the early 1990s reinforced the importance of property and facilities management in corporations. As a result practitioners in both commercial and public sectors are sought who have a wider experience of the built environment and business, and opportunities are increasing in this field from financial, investment and occupational sectors.
The aim of this module is to provide an understanding of organisational theory, corporate structures and the application of advanced management techniques (facilities, space planning and resource management).
To accomplish this, the module aims to equip you with an understanding of:
- the role property plays within the economy, organisations and the wider community,
- the importance of a strategic approach to the management of property assets,
- the importance of aligning real estate strategies with business strategies,
- the value that property and facilities management can add to an organisation in terms of profit/cost, service delivery and corporate image.
Learning and Teaching
This course will be delivered as seminars with resources available online to support your studies. You will have the flexibility to fit your studies around personal and professional commitments, with access to our learning resources any time and from anywhere in the world. Studying while you work also provides valuable opportunities to apply what you have learned directly to your role.
Our comprehensive learning platform provides your entire course content, and puts you in contact with your tutor and fellow students.
We assess your work through a variety of coursework assignments, including essays, reports, surveys and presentations. We also encourage you to do 'formative work' to prepare for assessment. This does not count towards final marks, but the feedback you receive helps improve your performance.
The assessment is a 15 minute video presentation and an executive summary addressing application of principles and methods for estate strategic management.
For individuals attending without undertaking the assessment, these modules count as formal CPD required by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
If you undertake the module assessments and decide to continue with your studies, these modules can be used towards our following awards:
- MSc Real Estate Finance and Investment is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Investment Property Forum.
- MSc Real Estate Management is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment
- PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management
UWE Bristol is superbly equipped with libraries and computer labs, and an excellent campus environment. Our online learning environments deliver an integrated learning experience to you and you also have access to a vast number of professional and academic journals and databases online through the UWE Bristol library.
Find out more about the facilities and resources UWE has to offer.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
|Cohort September 2022||Time||Location|
|Access to online resources - September 2022||n/a||Online|
|Induction (Non-compulsory): students are welcome to attend this session which will introduce them to UWE online resources - Monday 26 September 2022||TBC||Online|
|Thursdays: 06, 20 Oct; 03, 17 Nov; 01 Dec 2022||09:00-17:00||Frenchay Campus|
Should government restrictions be enforced this module will move to online delivery.
All prices are VAT exempt
For information on fees, managing your money and determining your fee status, please go to our fees and funding pages.
How to apply
How to apply
As this module carries university accreditation, please note that once you have submitted your booking form, you will be required to provide the following supporting information for the Programme Leader to review and formally accept your application as required by the university:
- An up-to-date copy of your Curriculum Vitae (including contact details of a work or academic reference)
- A brief personal statement to support your application
- A copy of your highest qualification certificate and transcript of modules studied
- A copy of photographic proof of ID (i.e. driver's licence/passport). For non-UK students, this must be a copy of your passport
|September 2022||Book Now||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: For specific questions in relation to the course, i.e. content, suitability, assessments, etc. please contact the programme leader Ytzen Van Der Werf (firstname.lastname@example.org). For all queries regarding administration aspects of registration, i.e. dates, fees, etc. please contact us using the online enquiry form link or telephone number below.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81043 (option 1, then option 3)