Professional/Short Course Real Estate Investment and Development
Page last updated 24 May 2023
Module counts towards: MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment & MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management
The UWE Department of Architecture and the Built Environment are pleased to offer a suite of additional postgraduate level modules in Real Estate Management as continuing professional development (CPD), accredited by theRoyal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
These modules offer practical application alongside theoretical underpinning to help develop and broaden your knowledge in the topic.
The modules starting in October are:
This suite also consists of modules that will start in January covering the following topics:
- Real Estate Investment and Development
- Managerial Finance for the Built Environment
- Sustainability in the Built Environment
- Real Estate Finance and Investment
Please click on the links above for further information, to make an enquiry or to book a place.
Modules are offered as on campus, or as distance learning. Please use the 'find a course' search here and you will find distance learning options labelled as such next to the on-campus options. You will have access to your learning materials via our online learning platform. If you chose the distance learning mode you will be able to progress through them in your own time, while live webinar sessions will provide an opportunity for you to discuss the materials in more depth.
There are no formal entry requirements for participants wishing to undertake this course as a stand-alone CPD course without the optional course assessment.
If you wish to complete the course assessment you are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) in a related area or alternatively have relevant industrial experience in property.
We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
If English is not your country's first language, you will be required to provide evidence to show you meet the University's minimum English Language requirements. Further details are available on our English Language Requirements webpage.
Real Estate Investment
This part of the module will focus on commercial real estate investment. The starting point will be to examine real estate investment at the asset level then the emphasis will move to the portfolio level. Even though real estate is at the heart of this module, mainstream financial investments will also be referred to in the quest of enhancing understanding and also because real estate often forms part of much wider portfolios. The importance of diversification will, therefore, be examined and developed. The core areas that this part will cover are performance measurement, portfolio theory, capital asset pricing model, alternative real estate vehicles, international real estate investment and risk management.
Lastly, you will also be involved in an investment game that will be handed to you on the first day. While this is not mandatory and will not be assessed, you are encouraged to participate. A league table will be run every investment week to see how your selected portfolio will perform.
Real Estate Development (and Planning)
The development part of the module provides a course of study with an explicit planning and property development process focus. Emphasis will be placed on linking and applying economic concepts and planning instruments to development processes, particularly appraisal techniques used in land, residential and property development decision-making in the UK. It will develop an understanding of economic and other relationships between markets, the key actors in development, as well as some fiscal and planning policies. In short, it seeks to integrate concepts and techniques to provide a thorough understanding of the planning and property development process from inception to disposal.
What will the course outcome be?
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- Discuss and evaluate the position of real estate as an investment asset in the national and global investment market.
- Identify and analyse risk in investment and critically evaluate portfolio strategies and techniques to manage such risk.
- Critically discuss, evaluate and apply different asset pricing theories to real estate, and alternative ways of investing in real estate.
- Apply the economics of land value creation through development activity and evaluate the economic constraints under which development decisions are taken. Critically discuss conceptual models of the planning and development process including the activities, elements, skills and research intelligence involved.
- Identify and appraise potential development opportunities and propose optimum development strategy through the utilisation of economic concepts and planning policy; and the critical application of a range of practical development appraisal techniques.
- Compare the UK and international fiscal instruments and examine their impact on the development process and how associated risks can be managed.
Learning and Teaching
This course will be delivered as on-campus seminars with resources available online to support your studies. You will have the flexibility to fit your studies around personal and professional commitments, with access to our learning resources any time. Studying while you work also provides valuable opportunities to apply what you have learned directly to your role.
Our comprehensive learning platform provides your entire course content, and puts you in contact with your tutor and fellow students.
We assess your work through a variety of coursework assignments, including essays, reports, surveys and presentations. We also encourage you to do 'formative work' to prepare for assessment. This does not count towards final marks, but the feedback you receive helps improve your performance.
The assignment is based around three elements: Economic data analysis (2,000 words), a valuation report (3,000 words) and a valuation viva of 10 mins.
For individuals attending without undertaking the assessment, these modules count as formal CPD required by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
If you undertake the module assessments and decide to continue with your studies, these modules can be used towards our following awards:
- MSc Real Estate Finance and Investment is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Investment Property Forum.
- MSc Real Estate Management is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment
- PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management
UWE Bristol is superbly equipped with libraries and computer labs, and an excellent campus environment. Our online learning environments deliver an integrated learning experience to you and you also have access to a vast number of professional and academic journals and databases online through the UWE Bristol library.
Find out more about the facilities and resources UWE has to offer.
Get a feel for the Construction, Property and Surveying facilities we have on offer here from wherever you are.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
This course is planned to run again in 2024. Course dates, updated fees and online booking forms will be published here in the summer of 2023. Please complete our online enquiry form below to be notified once these details are made available.
Should government restrictions be enforced this module will move to online delivery.
All prices are VAT exempt.
As an indication, the cost of this course was £1,583 UK and £2,375 for International participants in the last academic year 2022/2023, so there might be a small increase for 2024. Please complete our online enquiry form below to be notified once these details are made available.
For information on fees, managing your money and determining your fee status, please go to our fees and funding pages.
UWE Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
How to apply
How to apply
As this module carries university accreditation, please note that once you have submitted your booking form, you will be required to provide the following supporting information to the administration team for the module tutor to be able to review and formally accept your application as required by the university:
- An up-to-date copy of your Curriculum Vitae (including contact details of a work or academic reference)
- A brief personal statement to support your application
- A copy of your highest qualification certificate and transcript of modules studied
- A copy of photographic proof of ID (i.e. driver's licence/passport). For non-UK students, this must be a copy of your passport
|January 2024||Dates TBC||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: For specific questions in relation to the course, i.e. content, suitability, assessments, etc. please contact the programme leader Ytzen van der Werf (email@example.com). For all queries regarding administration aspects of registration, i.e. dates, fees, etc. please contact us using the online enquiry form link or telephone number below.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81043 (option 1, then option 3)