Professional/Short Course Real Estate Investment and Development (Distance Learning)
Page last updated 25 October 2021
Module counts towards: MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment (Distance Learning) MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management (Distance Learning)
The UWE Department of Architecture and the Built Environment are pleased to offer a suite of additional postgraduate level modules in Real Estate Management as continuing professional development (CPD), accredited by theRoyal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
These modules offer practical application alongside theoretical underpinning to help develop and broaden your knowledge in the topic.
The modules starting in October are:
This suite also consists of modules that will start in January 2022 covering the following topics:
- Real Estate Investment and Development DL
- Managerial Finance for the Built Environment DL
- Sustainability in the Built Environment DL
- Real Estate Finance and Investment
Please click on the links above for further information, to make an enquiry or to book a place.
Modules are offered as on campus, or as distance learning, over a ten-week period. Please use the 'find a course' search here and you will find distance learning options labelled as such next to the on-campus options. You will have access to your learning materials via our online learning platform. If you chose the distance learning mode you will be able to progress through them in your own time, while live webinar sessions will provide an opportunity for you to discuss the materials in more depth.
There are no formal entry requirements for participants wishing to undertake this course as a stand-alone CPD course without the optional course assessment.
If you wish to complete the course assessment you are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) in a related area or alternatively have relevant industrial experience in property.
We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
If English is not your country's first language, you will be required to provide evidence to show you meet the University's minimum English Language requirements. Further details are available on our English Language Requirements webpage.
Real Estate Investment
This part of the module will focus on commercial real estate investment. The starting point will be to examine real estate investment at the asset level then the emphasis will move to the portfolio level. Even though real estate is at the heart of this module, mainstream financial investments will also be referred to in the quest of enhancing understanding and also because real estate often forms part of much wider portfolios. The importance of diversification will, therefore, be examined and developed. The core areas that this part will cover are performance measurement, portfolio theory, capital asset pricing model, alternative real estate vehicles, international real estate investment and risk management.
Lastly, you will also be involved in an investment game that will be handed to you on the first day. While this is not mandatory and will not be assessed, you are encouraged to participate. A league table will be run every investment week to see how your selected portfolio will perform.
Real Estate Development (and Planning)
The development part of the module provides a course of study with an explicit planning and property development process focus. Emphasis will be placed on linking and applying economic concepts and planning instruments to development processes, particularly appraisal techniques used in land, residential and property development decision-making in the UK. It will develop an understanding of economic and other relationships between markets, the key actors in development, as well as some fiscal and planning policies. In short, it seeks to integrate concepts and techniques to provide a thorough understanding of the planning and property development process from inception to disposal.
What will the course outcome be?
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- Discuss and evaluate the position of real estate as an investment asset in the national and global investment market.
- Identify and analyse risk in investment and critically evaluate portfolio strategies and techniques to manage such risk.
- Critically discuss, evaluate and apply different asset pricing theories to real estate, and alternative ways of investing in real estate.
- Apply the economics of land value creation through development activity and evaluate the economic constraints under which development decisions are taken. Critically discuss conceptual models of the planning and development process including the activities, elements, skills and research intelligence involved.
- Identify and appraise potential development opportunities and propose optimum development strategy through the utilisation of economic concepts and planning policy; and the critical application of a range of practical development appraisal techniques.
- Compare the UK and international fiscal instruments and examine their impact on the development process and how associated risks can be managed.
Learning and Teaching
With an online course you have the flexibility to fit your studies around personal and professional commitments, with access to our learning resources any time and from anywhere in the world. Studying while you work also provides valuable opportunities to apply what you have learned directly to your role. We use the latest online learning technology to make your distance learning experience as effective and rewarding as our traditionally taught courses.
You'll have access to recorded lectures from leading academics in the real estate management industry. Alongside these recorded lectures, you'll be able to attend 10 one-hour live webinar workshops, over 10 weeks', via 'Blackboard Collaborate'. This comprehensive learning platform provides your entire course content, and puts you in contact with your tutor and fellow students.
We assess your work through a variety of coursework assignments, including essays, reports, surveys and presentations. We also encourage you to do 'formative work' to prepare for assessment. This does not count towards final marks, but the feedback you receive helps improve your performance.
The assignment is based around three elements: Economic data analysis (2,000 words), a valuation report (3,000 words) and a valuation viva of 10 mins.
For individuals attending without undertaking the assessment, these modules count as formal CPD required by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
If you undertake the module assessments and decide to continue with your studies, these modules can be used towards our following awards:
- MSc Real Estate Finance and Investment DL is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Investment Property Forum.
- MSc Real Estate Management DL is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment DL
- PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management DL
UWE Bristol has invested significantly in online resources to support your distance learning study. We use the 'Blackboard Collaborate' online platform to deliver an integrated learning experience to you and you also have access to a vast number of professional and academic journals and databases online through the UWE Bristol library.
Find out more about the facilities and resources UWE has to offer.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
|Cohort February 2022||Time||Location|
|Access to online resources - January 2022||n/a||Online|
|Induction (Non-compulsory): students are welcome to attend these sessions which will introduce them to UWE online resources - TBC||tbc||Online|
|Session 1 - Tuesday 08 February 2022||17:30-19:00||Online|
|Session 2 - Tuesday 15 February 2022||17:30-19:00||Online|
|Session 3 - Tuesday 22 February 2022||17:30-19:00||Online|
|Session 4 - Tuesday 01 March 2022||17:30-19:00||Online|
|Session 5 - Tuesday 08 March 2022||17:30-19:00||Online|
|Session 6 - Tuesday 15 March 2022||17:30-19:00||Online|
|Session 7 - Tuesday 22 March 2022||17:30-19:00||Online|
|Session 8 - Tuesday 05 April 2022||17:30-19:00||Online|
Should government restrictions be enforced this module will move to online delivery.
All prices are VAT exempt
For information on fees, managing your money and determining your fee status, please go to our fees and funding pages.
How to apply
How to apply
As this module carries university accreditation, please note that once you have submitted your booking form, you will be required to provide the following supporting information to the administration team for the module tutor to be able to review and formally accept your application as required by the university:
· An up-to-date copy of your Curriculum Vitae (including contact details of a work or academic reference)
· A brief personal statement to support your application
· A copy of your highest qualification certificate and transcript of modules studied
· A copy of photographic proof of ID (i.e. driver's licence/passport). For non UK students, this must be a copy of your passport
|February 2022||Book Now||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: For specific questions in relation to the course, i.e. content, suitability, assessments, etc. please contact the programme leader Thomas Appleby (Thomas.email@example.com). For all queries regarding administration aspects of registration, i.e. dates, fees, etc. please contact us using the online enquiry form link or telephone number below.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 3286 927