Professional/Short Course Managerial Finance for the Built Environment
Page last updated 21 January 2021
Module counts towards: MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment (Distance Learning) MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management (Distance Learning)
The department of Architecture and Built Environment are pleased to offer a suite of postgraduate level modules in Real Estate Management as continuing professional development (CPD). Offering practical application alongside theoretical underpinning to help develop and broaden your knowledge in the topic.
This suite consists of courses covering the following topics:
Delivered as blended learning over a ten week period, you will have access to your course materials via our online learning platform to work though in your own time, while live webinar sessions, every other week, will provide an opportunity for you to discuss the materials in more depth.
There are no formal entry requirements for participants wishing to undertake this course as a stand-alone CPD course without the optional course assessment.
If you wish to complete the course assessment you are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) in a related area or alternatively have relevant industrial experience in property.
We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
If English is not your country's first language, you will be required to provide evidence to show you meet the University's minimum English Language requirements. Further details are available on our English Language Requirements webpage.
The scope of the module addresses one of the mandatory competencies for the RICS by giving a firm grounding in the interpretation of published accounts and other financial data and introduces management accounting in such areas as budget control, cost allocation and cost behaviour.
The module will also cover areas in financial management such as capital investment decision making and financing of businesses.
Because the module is meant for non-specialists, it will walk you through the basics up to a level that will provide you with the knowledge and skills needed to help you make financial decisions for your project and/or company.
What will the course outcome be?
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- Examine how organisations compile financial records and compute financial statements; and analyse the legislation, accounting concepts and principles that underpin financial statements.
- Evaluate and interpret the contents of financial reports with the use of recognised tools to assess a company's performance and financial position.
- Identify the essential features of the valuation and control of assets and liabilities; and analyse how organisations make tactical decisions and control profitability.
- Examine and discuss the principles of costing, overheads, break-even analysis and pricing theories; and analyse how organisations prepare and use budgets.
- Critically apply and appraise the uses and management of finance and accounting concepts and techniques to an organisation.
In addition, the educational experience may explore, develop, and practise but not formally discretely assess the following:
- Demonstrate an awareness of the importance of good corporate governance and corporate social responsibility within an organisation; understand and use relevant communications and information technologies for application in business and management contexts.
Learning and Teaching
With an online course you have the flexibility to fit your studies around personal and professional commitments, with access to our learning resources any time and from anywhere in the world. Studying while you work also provides valuable opportunities to apply what you have learned directly to your role. We use the latest online learning technology to make your distance learning experience as effective and rewarding as our traditionally taught courses.
You'll have access to recorded lectures from leading academics in the real estate management industry. Alongside these recorded lectures, you'll be able to attend 5 one-hour live webinar workshops, every other week, via 'Blackboard Collaborate'. This comprehensive learning platform provides your entire course content, and puts you in contact with your tutor and fellow students.
We assess your work through a variety of coursework assignments, including essays, reports, surveys and presentations. We also encourage you to do 'formative work' to prepare for assessment. This does not count towards final marks, but the feedback you receive helps improve your performance.
The assignment is based around one element: Report (maximum 3000 words, supplemented with a range of illustrative graphics, images, diagrams etc.) that considers financial accounting, management accounting and financial management.
For individuals attending without undertaking the assessment, this course counts as formal CPD required by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
If you undertake the module accreditation and decide to continue with your studies, this module can be used towards our following awards:
· MSc Real Estate Finance and Investment (distance learning programme) is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Investment Property Forum.
· MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management (distance learning programme) is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
UWE Bristol has invested significantly in online resources to support your distance learning study. We use the 'Blackboard Collaborate' online platform to deliver an integrated learning experience to you and you also have access to a vast number of professional and academic journals and databases online through the UWE Bristol library.
Find out more about the facilities and resources UWE has to offer.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
|To online materials||28 January 2021|
|Webinar (live session), every other week on Thursdays||25 February 2021||17:30-18:30|
All prices are VAT exempt
|UK/EU students fee||£792|
|International students fee||£792|
For information on fees, managing your money and determining your fee status, please go to our fees and funding pages.
How to apply
How to apply
As this module carries university accreditation, please note that once you have submitted your booking form, you will be required to provide the following supporting information to the administration team for the module tutor to be able to review and formally accept your application as required by the university:
· An up-to-date copy of your Curriculum Vitae (including contact details of a work or academic reference)
· A brief personal statement to support your application
· A copy of your highest qualification certificate and transcript of modules studied
· A copy of photographic proof of ID (i.e. driver's licence/passport). For non UK students, this must be a copy of your passport
|February 2021||Book Now||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: For specific questions in relation to the course, i.e. content, suitability, assessments, etc. please contact programme leaders Thomas Appleby (Thomas.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Grazyna Wiejak-Roy (email@example.com). For all queries regarding administration aspects of registration, i.e. dates, fees, etc. please contact us using the online enquiry form link or telephone number below.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 3286 927