Professional/Short Course Real Estate Law (Distance Learning)
Page last updated 4 October 2021
Module counts towards: MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment (Distance Learning) MSc/PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Management (Distance Learning)
The department of Architecture and Built Environment are pleased to offer a suite of postgraduate level modules in Real Estate Management as continuing professional development (CPD). Offering practical application alongside theoretical underpinning to help develop and broaden your knowledge in the topic.
This suite consists of courses covering the following topics:
- Real Estate Economics and Valuation (DL)
- Real Estate Law (DL)
- Strategic Estate Management (DL)
- Real Estate Investment and Development (DL) - forthcoming 2022
- Managerial Finance for the Built Environment (DL) - forthcoming 2022
- Sustainability in the Built Environment (DL) - forthcoming 2022
- Real Estate Finance and Investment (DL) - forthcoming 2022
Delivered over a ten week period, you will have access to your course materials via our online learning platform to work though in your own time, while 1hr live webinar sessions, every other week, will provide an opportunity for you to discuss the materials in more depth.
There are no formal entry requirements for participants wishing to undertake this course as a stand-alone CPD course without the optional course assessment.
If you wish to complete the course assessment you are expected to have a first degree at 2.2 level or above (or equivalent) in a related area or alternatively have relevant industrial experience in property.
We strongly recommend that you speak to the course tutor prior to the course if you are unsure about your suitability to complete the assessment.
If English is not your country's first language, you will be required to provide evidence to show you meet the University's minimum English Language requirements. Further details are available on our English Language Requirements webpage.
This course is designed as an overview of Real Estate Law as it is practised by property professionals, covering the following areas:
- property law
- commercial and residential landlord and tenant
- contract law
- tort law
- professional negligence
- environmental law
- professional ethics and the conveyancing process
It is delivered in a helpful, practical way by an experienced property lawyer and focusses on the key issues encountered in practice.
Learning and Teaching
With an online course you have the flexibility to fit your studies around personal and professional commitments, with access to our learning resources any time and from anywhere in the world. Studying while you work also provides valuable opportunities to apply what you have learned directly to your role. We use the latest online learning technology to make your distance learning experience as effective and rewarding as our traditionally taught courses.
You'll have access to recorded lectures from leading academics in the real estate management industry.
Alongside these recorded lectures, you'll be able to attend 5 one-hour live webinar workshops, every other week, via 'Blackboard Collaborate'. This comprehensive learning platform provides your entire course content, and puts you in contact with your tutor and fellow students.
We assess your work through a variety of coursework assignments, including essays, reports, surveys and presentations. We also encourage you to do 'formative work' to prepare for assessment. This does not count towards final marks, but the feedback you receive helps improve your performance.
The assignment is based around two elements: legal research on some aspect of the law; and interpretation of legal documents.
For individuals attending without undertaking the assessment, this course counts as formal CPD required by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
If you undertake the module accreditation and decide to continue with your studies, this module equals 15 credits and can be used towards our following awards:
- MSc Real Estate Finance and Investment (distance learning programme) accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Investment Property Forum.
- MSc Real Estate Management (distance learning programme) accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- PgCert/PgDip Real Estate Finance and Investment (distance leaning programme)
- PgCert/Pg Dip Real Estate Management (distance learning programme)
UWE Bristol has invested significantly in online resources to support your distance learning study. We use the 'Blackboard Collaborate' online platform to deliver an integrated learning experience to you and you also have access to a vast number of professional and academic journals and databases online through the UWE Bristol library.
Find out more about the facilities and resources UWE has to offer.
Prices and dates
Supplementary fee information
All course fees are VAT exempt
|Cohort September 2021||Dates||Times|
|Access to online materials||September 2021|
|Induction (non-compulsory): students are welcome to attend these 2 sessions which will introduce them to UWE online resources|
27 September 2021
01 October 2021
|Webinars (5 live sessions), every other week on Thursdays|
21 October 2021 to
16 December 2021
How to apply
How to apply
Please complete the online booking form below.
As this module carries university accreditation, please note that once you have submitted your booking form, you will be required to provide the following supporting information for the Programme Leader to review and formally accept your application as required by the university:
- An up-to-date copy of your Curriculum Vitae (including contact details of a work or academic reference)
- A brief personal statement to support your application
- A copy of your highest qualification certificate and transcript of modules studied
- A copy of photographic proof of ID (i.e. driver's licence/passport). For non UK students, this must be a copy of your passport
|September 2021||Book Now||Enquire Now|
For further information
- Email: For specific questions in relation to the course, i.e. content, suitability, assessments, etc. please email the Programme Leaders directly: Thomas Appleby (Thomas.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Grazyna Wiejak-Roy (email@example.com). For all queries regarding administration aspects of registration, i.e. dates, fees, etc. please contact us using the online enquiry form link or telephone number below.
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 3286 927